Baviaan pillion ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
We started way too late on a Thursday afternoon, mostly due to work commitments, but we wanted to make the most of our long weekend.  Me and my wife on our Dakar met Musashi and his fiancé on their GS at the 1-Stop, and took the tar option through the stinky tunnel.  Our getaway at 4pm meant we had to ride at least 2 hours of darkness which we wanted to minimize, so we chased the daylight but at Mosselbaai, it caught up with us and we slowed our pace after a hot cup of Wimpy coffee.  The rest of the trip to Buffelsbaai went without incident, and we arrived in the caravan park only to be greeted by a lekker braai with some of the greatest ribs in the southern cape.

The 2 bikes departing from Buffelsbaai.

The baviaans unfolded in all its glory, but we soon learned that we had not mentally prepared our pillions enough for what they were about to endure.

Our second real water crossing and the Baviaans tries to take its first victim.  Musashi takes a dip, gets the cut-out switch in time, but we decide to be conservative and check how far up the air inlet the water got since the bike was dropped on the inlet side.  Luckily water did not make pass the â??water trapâ? and we are safe.  For some reason the bike still does not want to start, until after about 10min, we realize the side stand is still out with bike in gear.

You will also note the absence of photoâ??s of the fall.  This is my biggest regret of the weekend.  I stood camera in hand, but as soon as things started going pear shape, I just froze, and when I regained logical reasoning, was already standing in the water helping to pick up the bike.  A disgrace to the Wilddog spirit!

Once again we had some of the greatest meat accompanied by some warm beer and red wine.  We camped at Doodsklip.

After the previous dayâ??s fall in the water, the girls refused to enter a river crossing on the back of a bike.  This worked great for us, meaning that we had spotters walking the line for us.

Smitskraal.

We made our way to Willowmore, but stopped at this interesting place for some colddrinks.

We rode down to Uniondale and took Prins Alfred pass? Down to Knysna.  What a great ride!

Nice day at the beach.

Dusty but happy

This was a great ride, and would I do it again with a pillion?  Definitely.  Would the pillions do it again?  Not at this point.