Baviaanes, and Groot Riviers Poort.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxwain

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Up Saturday morning bright and early, and off to meet my mates for an epic ride to Baviaans Kloof.
Me on my pig , a KLR and the 950 KTM set out from Somerset West not quite knowing where we were heading ,but knowing we would get there anyway.
First stop Montaque for a lekker breakfast and some light hearted banter with a bunch of guys on BMW,s and a good laugh when the Harley Boys pulled in. Then onwards on the dirt road towards Ladysmith.
At Ladysmith we stopped to pick up a few supplies then on to Carlitzdorp for the first overnight stop. We stayed at a place on the Carlitzdorp dam about 15 km outside the town ....very nice spot, but very dilapidated and run down, could be awesome if someone jacked it up a bit. Anyways ..we pitched our tents, had a few whiskeys and a very pleasant evening.
Next morning we headed off to Willowmore and the road to Baviaans. Our next stop was The Treehouse about 40km from Willowmore. Interesting road getting there with some deep sandy bits that nearly caught me out a few times, but we all got there without any mishaps. The Tree House is owed by Peter Hatangh (spelling incorrect) who proved to be a great host and fellow biker. We ended up spending two nights there listening to some fascinating stories and klapping many whiskeys in the process. I was very sad to leave , but Baviaanes was calling.
In to Baviaans... and it was spectacular (but hot as hell) ....and I had my first off. Fiddling with my Gopro...  not concentrating ...and the Blushing Porker decided to lie down  :snorting: It was very graceful ...but what a bitch to pick up. Fortunately no damage other than my bruised ego. Riding in the Baviaans is incredible with all the wild life around and the beautiful scenery. Smitskraal proved quite challenging with Anakees on the back ...but I made it thru without too much hassle.

With the Baviaanes behind us we stopped at Patensie for a late lunch and decided to head back to Willowmore on the Elands River road ....holy shit you can't call that a road. We battled that stretch for a few hours in the blazing heat ...tempers where getting short , the Porker was getting heavy , the track seemed to go on and on ....and then it happened ....The KLR went down in spectacular style in a big puddle of water  :laughing4:  :laughing4:  Shit... I couldn't help myself and I laughed my head off... which didn't help the sour mood of the unfortunate rider. Once again no real damage or injuries and we eventually got to Groot Rivier Poort. Once we had crossed the river, the road improved dramatically and we made it to Stytlerville. We were too pooped to pitch tents so we booked into the Royal Hotel for the night, much to my KLR mates delight  :biggrin:  I think he was getting a little weary of the great outdoors.
Next day the KLR opted out and decided to go home and me and my mate on the KTM headed off to Uniondale and Prince Alfred pass. Prince Albert pass is one of my very favourite passes ...its a beautiful place and Angies G Spot is always a great place to stop.
My next off was at Spieskop lookout point ....trying to do a U turn on a very loaded porker on marbles is not a clever move ....down she went again  :xxbah: This time I was assisted by a guy in a Jeep and his very very hot girlfriend / wife  :biggrin: I was going to push the pig over again just for another glimpse of that very hot ass....but on we went via Knysna and eventually ended up at Groot Brak Caravan park ....eish ...my worst nightmare. Row upon row of shiny caravans and cages all packed into a tiny space. We got some very hairy looks when we arrived and I was actually surprised when they let us in. Anyways ..we had a pleasant evening and the residents turned out to be quite friendly, even offering to wash our filthy bikes once they realised that we where harmless. Woke up the next morning to hot coffee , complements of our next caravan neighbour which was really lekker , packed the bikes and headed off to Mosselbay and then Malgas.
On the road to Malgas I lost my video camera which fell out of a bag that I hadn't zipped closed properly ...so If anyone picks up a camera on that road ...its mine ...reward will gladly be paid for its return ...I just want the video content  :biggrin:
We couldn't get any accommodation at Malgas ...(Im surprised that there isn't a camp site there) so we decided to push on home.
Unfortunate that I lost all my video content but here is the Gopro video that I had left ....Enjoy

Baviaans Kloof Ride https://youtu.be/NPaO4t5G73k