Baviaans - The whole lap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubiblue

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Was going down to St francis to spend a few days at the family holiday home, when I managed to beg my old man for his bike for a day ride with some PE mates. He Said yes so planned a whole run through the baviaans (i had never done the entire lopp before as I always had mx bikes and the loop is too long for one of them with no bakkie support).

2 mates and my younger boet were keen too. 2 x BMW 800's, 1 x KLR and 1 x XT660. HEaded out at 6am in the morning near the top of the krom rivier and headed west toward kareedouw, uniondale and enter the kloof just below willowmore. Easy sections, flat fast gravel and some quick tar to uniondale. Had a quick breakie there at crackling rosies and then duid a short tar section until we hit gravel again.

The western half of the baviaans is quick and flat, so we thought we were making good ground, so I decided to do a quick geocache to kill some time before we did the time consuming eastern half. THe place it has near had closed down and the gates was locked, no worries, we found our way into the property and moved towards the cache. It was a cool little section of the ride, until we hit a "nasty" jeep track, loose shails and large rockes going up a twisty steep hill. Needless to say I manged to stall about half way up - not a shit you can get an 800 going up again from a standstill. THe others made it up further, but we all kind of decided that we would turn around - the last thing I wanted to do was ding and scratch the crap out of my old mans bike. This would be a lekker trail  for a lighter bike.

We tried to find a place for a quick dip as the temp was rising dramatically, but you can only swim if you pay, F&@k that!, We found a water crossing and stopped in the shade, wet our faces, ate some chow, then did the last rougher slower section. We made it quite quickly too the last section of the ride, as you leave the kloof we hooked a right towards humansdorp. One of the dudes left us heading back  toward PE.

We ended up back at home about 10 hours later and rather tired. We covered about 480kms or so, cant really remember. The kloof was a little dry so the crossings we much easier than usual to cross.

Flip, I love that area to ride in. Thanks chaps for the company.