Been riding around the world for 30 years...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoskakBruce

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Hi WildDogs,

I'm happy to be here and bummed that I haven't joined this forum sooner, because it seems like there are a ton of cool kats here.

I'm Bruce. I'm originally from Cape Town, now living on my motorcycle more often than not. My wife and I are currently riding our bikes around South America (in Colombia as I write this) and home is in the Dominican Republic (where my wife is from).

We are riding 2 x Honda Tornado 250s at the moment and I run a Honda Tornado website for English speakers https://xr250tornado.wordpress.com/

20180104_164131.jpg

Like many others on the forum, my motorcycle preferences have come full circle over the last 30 years. When I was 16, my first bike was a Yamaha DT175 that I pretended was a 50cc by putting 50cc stickers on it.

I then went through a slew of crotch rockets and touring bikes until I met my wife... She arrived to our first date on her Suzuki TS 125.

20160820_165411.jpg

When I brought her to South Africa for the first time to meet my family, we decided to buy some bikes and tour the country. She insisted that she would only ride off road. I had not ridden off road much, but was excited to give it a go.

We bought 2 KLR650s and I was hooked on Adventure riding. I saw a side of South Africa I had never seen before.

south-africa-27.jpg

As the years have passed, our taste in riding as gotten more and more enduro oriented, and so our taste in motorcycles has gotten lighter and lighter.

When we decided to ride South America, we decided on the Honda Tornado - mostly because it is light, bombproof and easy to adventurize.

20180104_123538-e1550701517957.jpg

Since then, I've been yearning for an even lighter bike with more power and was inspired by Aaron Steinman who did 130000km around the world on his KTM 500 EXC.

So, today I just bought a KTM 500 XC-W in Cape Town (I bought it from Gumtree while in Colombia) which I'm planning to adventurize into a long distance desert enduro tourer. I'm so damn excited, I can't even work today, hence me writing this!

So, that's our short story.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all, making new friends and riding buddies.

If any of you own light weight dirt bikes that you go exploring on and are open to meeting new people, please invite me to ride with you. I'm usually in South Africa for 2 months each year and all my old school friends who used to ride now have kids and sold their bikes!

See you in the dirt,

Bruce
20180106_145110.jpg