Berg - Swinburne area - 6-8 Aug >> Closed for Check-In <<

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I know the 9th of August weekend is a long time away but  Dolf (was StaalBurger) and I have been scheming about another weekend in the Berg.

The way you guys organize stuff means you have to get in the queue early for the long weekends.

The last two years we have organized rides in Newcastle over the wekka’s day weekend, but this year 1 May is a Saturday, effectively making it a normal weekend. The next available long weekend after that is Woman’s day in August.

We have been thinking about a weekend based at the Riverview Country Inn in Swinburne. I have already approached them and they are quite happy to host us that weekend.

For rates and amenities see :-

https://www.freewebs.com/riverviewcountryinn/

The reasons I like the idea are:-

Position.

It is about 290Km from JHB, and a little further from Pretoria, 280Km from Durban, and 362Km from Bloem. The okes from Bethlehem and Hilton can get there with a drive and seven-iron. From Cape Town it is a quick 1300Km burn  :ricky:  

Riding.

There are some great roads in the vicinity.

Passes within a easy day trip include Muller’s, Normandien, Colling’s, Bezuidenhout’s as well as the van Reenen old railway road and the “verlore vallei”.

Although tar,  Middledale and de Beer’s passes are pretty. The loop through Golden gate and back along the Caledon to Monontsa in Lesotho is also possible and for the historians the battlefields are also in range, and for the real speedies a trip up Sani via Kamberg/Loteni is also feasible.

Logistics

Although a glorified truck-stop on a major highway, Montrose City is less than a Km away. At Montrose is a Kentucky, Brazilian, Steers, Fishaway and House of Coffees, so the early starters and late arrivers can always get a bite or some takeaway 24/7. Fuel and a bottle store are right there.

Accommodation

The good folk at Riverview have 13 rooms. If we take the majority, they will allow camping on the lawns, and there are showers and toilets for the happy campers (although a dedicated chalet for the campers to use, fridge and kettle, may be a good idea ) The place is “budget friendly” and when I last stayed there it was about R180 pppn. Accommodation is basic but adequate. For the larneys the Protea Hotel is 1Km away.

Facilities

The Hound and Hare is a very festive pub, and I have pleasant memories of a party or two there.

They have a kitchen and restaurant, but for a big party meals must be booked in advance.  

Any support for the idea ?