best restoration choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geopat

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Hi guys Im testing the waters and checking the garage for space and it seems that there may just be room for another project so I thought Id look to the dogs for recommendations

What do you guys recon would be the best bike to work on / restore taking into mind that most of us have limited tools, no real mechanic training, and heavily constrained budgets. Now I realize the bike that fits together like lego and costs nothing does not exist but I thought we could make a list of candidates so that potential tinkerers like myself can keep an ear to the ground

Some of the criteria that come to mind

SIMPLICITY most of us are not electrical engineers so bikes with all the electric farkles are going to be tough things like ABS, stepper driven throttle bodies, EFI, and the like  are out unless they can be replaced as units without blowing the budget

PARTS AVAILABILITY, does no good if the bike is held together with chicken teeth and rocking horse shit, so parts must be obtainable from either a dealer or other aftermarket suppliers  but preferably both

AVAILABILITY OF MANUALS, really helps if there is some guidance available

COST, We all know that doing a resto is not cheap but some bikes offer better value than others

USEFULLNESS, For me it does no good to put in all that time, effort and money if I dont get a bike that I want to take out and rip at the end. Im not looking for a showpiece that will go into a museum (but thats just me so lets not exclude the classics)

Im no expert (hence this thread) but a few bikes that come to mind are :

Honda XR
Kawasaki KLR
Suzuki DR
Yamaha XT

Most of the earlier mode dirt bikes?

I know fokkol about road bikes but lets not exclude them

What say all you guys? anything comes to mind? anyone share some good or bad experiences or point out potential pitfalls