Bike choice advise for a newish rider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiaan1981

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi guys

YES... I'm a novice... YES.. i decided at the ripe age of 32 that i can longer resist the urge to get a bike to start commuting to work and join some friends for the odd breakfast run over the weekend and YES... I need some serious advice.

Although I grew up in a farming  community, doing the odd biking and non road worthy scramblers over the weekend, my biking knowledge is next to zero... Hence the posting of this question.

I'm in the market to buy my first bike. I have been reading around quite a it and everyone says that you have to buy according to your needs. Frankly, I don't really know what my needs will be. As I get more experienced, my type of riding might change... An maybe not.

I will probably use the bike for commuting 99% of the time. I don't really need massive amount if space of luggage (so. Backpack will probably be sufficient. ) I will probably join some friends for a breakfast run every now and then...

I have this started reading up on the following bikes:

1. Triumph street triple - naked bike, awesome engine, awesome for commuting , awesome for weekend rides (as long  as the distance isn't more than 100 to 200km at a time) - probably the wrong forum to discuss this bike... But have found one for a very good price... Maybe someone have has experience with these?

2. BMW 650 GS - a bit of n all rounder. But very hard to find a fairly recent model in my price range. I know looks on a bike is t everything, but really like the more recent models (2011 later, etc) something about driving a bike that also looks good makes me all warm and fuzzy inside....

3. BMW Dakar - seems like an awesome bike at a good price. Could definitely find one within my budget, but should I rather ave for a more recent 650GS?

What are your thoughts. Have a budget of about R40 to R45k (excluding safety gear).

I'm really open to advise and your thoughts

Thanks in advance