bike cuts out, do you lock the steering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacoboos

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hello doggies

I fitted a new battery last week after almost 5years with original. Visited my dad in Malelane over weekend and carried on commuting to work as per usual. This morning the bike cuts out, no warning. It started again and we continue, but as we rode over a bump in road, I noticed the lights momentarily going out. Shit, it must be the battery coming loose, I'll tighten it at work. It happened a few times, noticeably when turning left before I finally got there. Also notice the clock indicating the correct time, so it couldn't be the battery then.

After some investigation I started pulling the wires from the ignition switch (nobody saw me :mwink:). The red wire was causing the cut out, so I pulled it real hard till it snapped. Then the harness had to be stripped, luckily not to deep, and after fixing it everything is a-ok.

Now I was wondering, is enough slack designed into the harness, or could it be a pinched wire before assembly, or is it the steering lock angle placing enough stress on the cable to eventually fail.

Anyone experienced something similar?