Bike Protection Equipment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorba

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Some things really freak me out. Obviously if you own a DP bike you will likely be going off-road with it, you will definitely look into fitting some kind of protection on your bike, whether it is a bashplate, crashbars etc. I've been in the stainless steel fabrication industry for more than 10 years and we do alot of laser cutting, bending, welding etc. Maybe not all in house, but the point that I am making is that I know what the material prices are as well as rates for laser cutting etc. Although my GS800 is my first DP bike, I've been in the off-road game for quite some time and previously owned more than 8 bikes, whether quads or two wheelers. My question to you guys are why do we settle for paying these ridiculous prices on accessories(mostly imported), when we can do our own development and manufacture it locally. I believe in a forum like this, there are more than adequate expertise to make this happen and for a fraction of the price, most of us can have a ride that is customized and well protected. Another great example are side panniers and top boxes. Basically it is just aluminium sheetmetal that's been cut and bent with a couple of fancy fixtures. Come on guys, we really can do this.