Bike riding makes me sick!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sef156

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Yep, you read right.

Every time when I go on a ride, and I'm not talking about commuting but a proper ride, I get sick exactly 3 days later.  It starts with a snotty nose, sore throat, basically just normal cold symptoms that would then usually disappear again in a few days.  And before you ask, yes I do wear warm clothes when it's cold.

Initially I though it was just coincidence but the more it happened the more I started to draw a correlation between riding and getting sick, especially in winter.  Now as I said I always wear nice warm gear so I don't get cold on the bike besides the breeze that catches my neck sometimes when it's chilly.  So I though well maybe I just have a crappy immune system or something.

Then the other day when I was on a MTB ride with a few mates we started talking about bikes (as in bikes with engines  ;D) and the one guy told me how he loved his XL500 back in the day but eventually gave up biking because it caused him sinus problems.  I then put 2 and 2 together and figured out that I also had sinus problems as a kid, and that sinus causes a post-nasal drip which causes a sore throat and voila, I have the same problem here.  At least now I know it's not just me, and besides my immune system is quite strong because we regularly ride mtb in cold or wet and that never bothered me, so sinus sounds like a more plausible explanation.

The question is now, what can I do about? Should I get a neck warmer, a buff, or something that keeps cold air out of my nose? Maybe it's as simple a breathing through my mouth instead my nose!  :imaposer: