Bike transport insurance cover.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Operator

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
This was discussed before on the forum numerous times.

I'm posting this, as we can all learn from this and prevent it from happening to ourselves.

a Person posted this on the Adventure Riders SA facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ktmadventureriderssa/permalink/1647234885344851/

Millys Motorcycle Transport (Pty) Ltd.

I bought a 30 year anniversary edition BMW 800 GS in Brakpan on 20 March 2018. I paid Millys Motorcycle Transport (Pty) Ltd R2500 on 21 March 2018 to collect the bike and deliver it to me in Cape Town. Their quote stated that the bike will be picked up and delivered within 5 to 7 business days. They only collected the bike on 9 April 2018 and then took it to their storage facility in Boksburg.

I was called non-chalantly by Milly Lurie the following day to advise that the bike was stolen out of their store after a hole was knocked into the wall. This I found out a few days later were not the truth when I spoke to the security manager of the storage facility who advised that my bike and a Honda was left outside on an open trailer. It stormed heavily that night and no video footage was available of the theft. The thief(ves) removed the slabs of a prefab wall next to the trailer and used one slab as a ramp to get my bike off the trailer before pushing it through an open veld.

Milly requested me to get a valuation and I approached GS Traders, who eventually provided me with a valuation for R95750. I also obtained a valuation for R90 000 from Donfords Cape Town. GS Traders advised me that they are expecting a 30 year anniversary edition in about a week’s time. I was willing to accept R85000 to purchase the one at GS Traders, which incidentally did not have many extra accessories on, which the stolen had. I impressed on Rilette Lurie to ask their insurers, Hollard, to speed up the processing of the claim (their quotation stated fully comprehensive GIT cover) so that I can buy the GS Traders replacement bike. I also spoke to Hollard and Millys’s brokers and both advised me that they cannot speak to me as I am not their client. I was ordered in a Whatsapp message by Rilette Lurie that I am not allowed to speak to their insurers or brokers and all enquiries had to be handled through her. At that stage I have not even received a SAPS case number and I was not informed on progress with the claim.

Needless to say the claim was not processed quickly enough and the GS Traders bike was sold before I eventually got paid 85% of the value after the insurers deducted an excess of 15%. I pointed out to Millys in an email that they have to pay the excess on their policy and that I cannot be expected to carry that cost. I also requested Millys to refund me the transport fee of R2500 for a service that was not delivered.

I then struggled to get my money out of them for close to a week - their excuse, they were waiting on my banking details, which I emailed to them 2 days prior to the claim being paid. Milly got half aggressive with me when I demanded to get my money. The phone was then handed to his wife Rilette who confirmed that they did not receive my email. I then asked her why she did not phone me or emailed me to get my banking details if they aver that they did not get my email with the banking details and had any intention to pay me. That took the wind right out of her sails. She then said that she will try and pay me that same day (a Saturday afternoon).

That also did not happen and the money finally got paid the Tuesday minus the 15% excess and also no refund of my R2500 transport fee. I have written a letter of demand giving them 14 business days to pay me the R16000 that they still owe me, but not a word from them. Friday afternoon I went to Hopefield to issue summons against Millys and the matter was set down for hearing on 25 July 2018 at 17h00 in Hopefield’s Small Claims Court.

For those of you who may contemplate using this company’s service, be alert and think twice. Hellopeter.com also has several complaints of unhappy customers. I was also told that Chris Grinton of Flying Brick also had a very unhappy experience where his BMW K100 dropped off a trailer and he allegedly received no compensation for the damages that he suffered.
**Chris confirmed the problem was not with Millys**

Next time, I will rather fly to Jhb and ride my motorcycle back to Cape Town.

It is very sad that some businesses simply have no moral standards and their business ethics leave much to be desired.