Bike Transporters - Are there none out there that give a damn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aka.Goliath

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I for the second time have bought a bike from out of province (Gauteng) and had to have the bike transported up to me. I can't get over how ridiculously incompetent, unthoughtful, and unpunctual these companies are. The first one I used was Bike Transporters and now recently used Bike Freight Transport. These guys have absolutely no idea of of good business practice. The Monday before last (28 September) I contacted Bike Freight Transport after phoning around to a couple of other companies. I spoke to a lady and was told I need to fill out the form and return it with a deposit of R500. I then enquired when they will pick up the bike - only next week Wednesday I was told. So I went ahead and sent them the form and made payment, requesting some feed back about the time it takes to come up, when they'll pick up etc. I waited.. nothing came back, by the next week I had to phone to find out whats going on. Apparently they did not get the POP, which I know they got the email, so I resent it. I asked whether my bike will be picked up that wednesday - oh they're not sure they have space, they'll call back. This after confirming the week before and paying the deposit. I kept my cool as they phoned back to say it will be picked up. Pick up comes and I get a worried message from the seller about how they are securing my bike with some very concerning pictures (Picture 1) He eventually gives them his own straps to the secure the bike. With some more concerned messages off they go (Picture 2). That night I get a really snotty email about how the bike was not secured properly and how they can't be held responsible if the straps don't work, This after the picture I saw of how they were tied the bike down in the first place.

Hi Alex,

Your bike was collected earlier today and when it arrived at the depot it was found to be lose on the trailer. The reason being that the person we collected the bike from insisted we use his rubbish tie down straps. By the time the truck arrived back at the depot these straps had worked their way lose. It is for this very reason we have our own tie down straps made to my specifications. I secured your bike and have instructed the driver that if the straps provided work lose again they are to be removed and replaced with our straps. For your information, we transport around 200 bikes per month and we know how to transport bikes. As much as Mr ****** may know what he is doing. We will not be held liable for tie down straps failing.

So a responded and I made sure that they were aware that they are indeed responsible for the safety of the bike no matter what happens within their capacity. Now I couldn't get too stroppy with what I said as they still had my bike (you never know) but I did send him the picture I had... No response.

On Friday I give them a call, as remember it should only take 2 days to get here. I asked if there was an ETA as I know there are many variables that can affect timing. 'They will leave Durban that day and possibly get up by evening' I asked if they would deliver the next day, Saturday. I get a lot of meaningless words that amount to a yes. No problem I think to myself I plan to take the morning off so I can be here to collect and pay as I work most days. Next morning I wake up nice and early and wait around, by late morning I try phoning. Phone is off/goes straight to voice mail. I send a email, Nothing. I send them a Facebook message nothing. I get no call, no message, nothing back. I am now pretty worried about whats going on. So Sunday morning comes and I get a message that my bike will be delivered now. No communication the day before nothing, I could be out riding - as one should be - and then what. I only saw them taking off the front straps from right around the center of the fork tubes right above the fork boots/protectors, I just looked and moved on. These guys have no freaky clue what they're doing and ir was nor worth my energy. But hey now I got my bike now so I'm still happy enough. Alright they ask me, 'you need to pay'. I ask for the invoice as they have charged VAT in the quoted price. No invoice, just a piece of paper with their drop offs and the amounts on it. WTF. Now I can't even phone them to ask for one so I can pay. The poor guys that do the driving just take it as it comes, I tell them I'll pay the amount ex VAT and the office can call me on Monday. At least I got all my stuff but what a screwed up business. I had a similar experience the last time. Now I know this is a specialized business but that doesn't mean they can just fog off a customer once you have paid. In general I think both these companies really need to get there act together. I wont be using them again and I hope others will be warned as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4666.JPG
    IMG_4666.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 574