Biking Brotherhood and the "nod"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H00dlum

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Brotherhood is a big word and one that not everyone understands.  Why is it that not everyone understands ??   Well its simple and the bottom line is money.

To those who did biking ( not adventure or off road riding ) more than 10 - 15 years ago more than likely understand the brotherhood of biking. It was an age of clubs ( gangs ) patches and a very cool "club" that a very select few people belonged too. A group of people that would meet at pubs, that would go on breakfast runs for the ride and the friendship rather than to look cool or see who had the best bike..  A group of people that did not give a sh*t what you rode so long as you rode and you were having a good time ( should read getting pissed all the time ) then you were welcome. A group of people that would help each other out not just because they were in a club but because they were bikers and back then money was something that few people had. If you had an accident it would be your biking buddies ( or brothers ) that would come to your aid, not your insurance company because you simply just did not have any money for insurance. You rode a bike and that was it, no car because again it was a lifestyle choice and most people did not have money for both.

The brotherhood was all about helping out when in need, riding when ever you could with your friends or other clubs and living the biker life. The "nod" was then just one biker to another saying hi and I suppose a acknowledgement that you knew that biker was riding all year round in all weather, also to say yup I know the danger but I still love to ride and back then more than not belonged to a club of some sort, and that meant in one way or another they would be helping out a biking brother.

Bikers helping bikers, that is the brotherhood that most people do not understand because they have never been there. A lot of people today ride the biggest and best machines, have money to fix them. Few of the people on bikes today belong to a site club like this or even a real bike club ( by that I mean they have a club house regular meets with a chairman and a committee and have club patches to show there loyalty to the club that is earned by being an apprentice and working your way to a full member ) and ride only because it makes them look cool or they are riding with friends who have bikes..  A lot of people only ride in summer or when the sun is out.

If you do not get the biking brotherhood or the "nod" then do not worry about it, like I said it is something from a time past.

Me myself I believe in the biking brotherhood. I will never pass a stranded biker and not stop. I will always try and help out a fellow biker with what ever I can. I do not care what you ride or what you wear and I do not care what sort of rider you are ( on road or off road ). If you are on a bike then you have my respect, the roads we travel on are not bike friendly and full of potholes ( tarred roads of course ) and on top of all this there are taxis and trucks and mommies ( Hey Groenie  ::) ) who just do not see us..... But we are still out there having fun despite all of this...  So yes if I see you on a bike, you will get a nod from me.... 

cheers

H

PS I'm quite new here and hope that I'm not out of line with what I'm about to say ......  Can we as a club PLEASE just forget what other people are riding and enjoy what we are riding. This is an adventure biking club, note there are no brand names in the title. Thankfully everyone is different and because of that we all ride different bikes. Skill levels, rider confidence , bike application , like and dislike are all reasons why we buy different name brand bikes. So again PLEASE guys can we lay off the brand bashing..

Thanks 

H