Birthday Party on Sani

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
A good family friend was hitting the "big 4" and she was looking for "something special" to do on the day.  Some options and deliberation resulted in Sani Pass and surrounds being chosen as the venue.  A pillion ride up Sani, for the first time - first on a bike and first up the pass - sounds like an adventure?

We gathered at the Himeville Arms on Friday night and all the "guests" were in party mood.  The Arms had some kitchen renovations done recently and we were lucky enough to be the first to be served off the new menu from the new kitchen.  Things went smoothly and everyone had a good time in the log fire heated dining room.

Saturday morning we woke to clear skies and not as cold as I expected.  We were on the road after breakfast, the two of us on the 990, with the rest following in a couple of cages.  Stopped in at Sani Pass Hotel quickly and offloaded the 85 there.  The laaitie also (obviously) jumped at the opportunity for a ride....  Border formalities were completed in a flash.

See, there is where we're going...
HPIM4073-1.jpg

Halfway up Sani, we stopped at the viewpoint for some bubbly and cup cakes - it is a birthday party after all...
HPIM4074.jpg

Inspection.....
HPIM4071.jpg

The pass is in fair condition, with the traditional loose rocks in the twisties not disappointing.  I had to ride, sitting down all the time taking care to look after my pillion as I have enough kids as it is....  But things worked out just fine and we had some time to admire the scenery too.  The 85 was flying, and he had to slow down after some advice about the adequacy of roosting your dad and his shiny bike.   >:D

Some new paint on the building!
HPIM4084.jpg

Proud man - he really enjoys that machine, now complete with stickers.
HPIM4085.jpg

The happy party team
HPIM4087.jpg

Birthday girl, special day....  I'm sure she could have found a beter looking rider though.... (Note the full ATTGATT)
HPIM4089.jpg

Had lunch at Sani Top, did some "kuiering" in the pub and then down the pass again, free of incidents.  Back at Sani Pass Hotel in time for the rugby.  Another great weekend! (Barring the rugby....)