BMW 1200 GS clutchectemy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Next time you are quoted around R8K by a dealer for a clutch change, consider what is involved before you hit the roof.
This weekend I took on the task of performing a â??clutchectemonyâ?? on JCP 777â??s 1200GS.
His clutch was so stuffed it hardly made it up my driveway.

First I removed the starter, to check that the clutch was dry, illuminating the possibility of a leaking crank seal, all was well, no need for another visit to BMW.
DSCN1066.jpg

JCP 777 had sourced a very good used clutch for a very good price, they are normally around R4K for the complete unit.

Then all the covers were removed, the fuel tank, the battery, the panels under the seat, all the electrical connections were loosened to facilitate the removal of the entire rear subframe.
DSCN1067.jpg

Then off came the subframe, there are 6 bolts holding it to the engine and front subframe assembly, and one mofo bolt under the gearbox, I only remembered this bolt after swearing quite substantially because the subframe would not come away.
DSCN1070.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

Once the subframe was out of the way, the gearbox could now be removed, a task on itâ??s own, the two dowel pins tend to corrode, making the gearbox difficult to remove.
DSCN1072.jpg

DSCN1073.jpg

DSCN1077.jpg

With the gearbox off the clutch was unbolted and replaced with a good one, then came the re-assembly, lots more swearing and the subsequent removal of the rear shock made it possible to slide the drive shaft onto the gearbox output shaft splines, the swingarm needs to be lifted up quite high to allow the drive shaft to line up.
DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1081.jpg

DSCN1085.jpg

The rest of the parts were then assembled, the braked needed to be bled, the rear brake system has to be disconnected before the subframe can be removed, care must be taken when tightening the ABS reservoirâ??s cap, ask me, I broke this one, I believe they get brittle with age.
DSCN1088.jpg

This hiccup caused an overnight delay while JCP 777 sourced a new one from Brad in Edenvale, thumbs up for being available on a Sunday morning.

The final hiccup was the right hand centre spark plug lead, it got dislodged at some stage, resulting on the bike running quite kark on only 3 plugs, once the problem was found it was all systems go, JCP 777 once again had a serviceable clutch, and a GS that was once again a pleasure to ride, many thanks for the help, BMW quote for a 9 hour job, our first time saw us doing it in around 14 hours, not too bad IMO. Definitely not a repair to be carried out next to the road!