BMW 450 - Perspectives from KZN Launch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
The KZN launch was hosted by Ryder Motorrad and Mototour Africa - The two Rogers, Mr Kane-Berman and Mr Scheffer.  The venue was a private MX track called Bushview Bike Park, near Pietermaritzburg.  You can ride bikes, quads and mountainbikes here and there is a B&B.  And they have pit bikes and pee-wee's for hire. Tel: 033-326 1519.   The place looked organized, food and drinks on sale and a festive atmosphere.  I did not have much time, so just popped in and did not actually ride the bike therefore this is not a ride report.  Looking at the bike with various riders on the track, and sniffed around a stationary one, see pics below.

The stats - 38 kW at 9000 rpm, 30 kW at 7000 rpm, 111 kg, 955 mm seat height, 8 litres fuel, R 76 000 and it's yours. 
Basic bikes comes street legal, but no hand guards, bash plate looks a bit light for rocks.  And bolted to the engine, frame does not offer any protection under engine.

BMW1.jpg

On the track it handles well, flies well and lands well.  Suspension needs some dialling in, but looks like it will do the job.  Ohlins rear shock. 

BMW2.jpg

BMW3.jpg

Speedo pickup is on the rear wheel - so it will pick up mileage fairly quickly....  Wonder if it is for service workshop profitability purposes??  Bike comes with a 2 year warranty, which is unique in this market.  It will be difficult for BMW to apply all the rules, like losing warranty when you race the bike - is the Weenen farmers fun ride a race?  Not officially, but it runs on much of the enduro race route?  Where do they draw the line?  Be that as it may, the 2 year trouble free biking if you do not race, modify or abuse the bike is great!

BMW6.jpg

The sprocket shaft that is the same shaft as the swingarm shaft has been reported widely, but is still odd, and a good idea if it is reliable.

BMW9.jpg

The clutch is driven directly off the crank, which makes the engine compact and provides good front ground clearance.  Cable clutch is not a smooth and light as a hydraulic one, I would perfer a hydraulic one.

BMW7.jpg

Bike is narrow and handles well.  Fuel filler in the seat, which means rider has to dismount when filling - so "splash and dash" from a fast filler can will be interesting.  Cap has screw thread and takes some time to unscrew.  And it has a piece of foam that goes over it too, I think that will be best left in the garage, otherwise it will be lost on the track / road / route.

BMW91.jpg

Battery mounted up front.

BMW92.jpg

The KLR guys supported well, and parked close by.  All the GS's were parked down the road outside the gate....

BMW4.jpg

Will it win?  What can you do to sponsor me?  Can I have race discount?  Can you provide free tyres / spares?

BMW93.jpg

Fast Bud Turner, Roger

BMW94.jpg

Some more support

BMW5.jpg

I think the bike will be a contender, the price is not bad and it will do well in the hands of the right rider.  This is a brand new market for BMW, and they have a lot to learn, I am sure they will do a good job.  Take your chequebook and rush to the nearest BMW dealer!

Thanks to the Rogers for the invite!