BMW 800 GS or Triumph 800 XC for the longer road 70/30 tar gravel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Brown

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Not looking to start a brand war here  :peepwall:, just looking for some honest advice or recommendations.

I currently own a KLR that I thoroughly enjoy plonking around with on weekends. Huge amount of fun and to me the KLR is a keeper for weekend jaunts and longer trips where there is not really a major time constraint or long daily distances involved. I can comfortably manage a 500km day as long as I am not in a hurry and can stop and enjoy the country side every now and then. I hope to be doing a Namibia trip next year and would probably use my KLR for the trip as the roads would be mostly dirt and an average distance of 400km per day.

What I am looking for is a DS bike that is better suited to the long "fast" travel tar with a nice bit of dirt at the end. As an example, I live in Cape Town and really want to go and explore the George, Knysna area dirt roads over a weekend. Ride up to Knysna on the Friday afternoon, spend Saturday and Sunday morning exploring the area and then ride back to Cape Town on the Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. It is doable with the KLR, but I think it would be a lot more comfortable on one of the 800's.

I like both the Triumph and the BMW, but know nothing about either of the bikes. What are the pro's and con's of each of them? Spares, back up, resale value, known problems etc

TIA