BMW Dakar 0, KTM Adventure 0, KLR 0 vs DRZ400E 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue flame

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR-Z 400
This will probably lead to some debate but I find the information crucial for newbieâ??s.
When I bought my bike I also looked at all the nice adventure bikes, such as the Dakar and KTM adventure etc.
At the end of the day I settled for a DRZ400E what will follow is the reasons why I am so glad with my purchase.
My friends and I play a lot at the â??sand gateâ? in Pretoria west near the old Makro in Van der Hoff street, the reason being it is a great place to learn, a lot of sand, mud when its wet, deap water when it is wet. Hill climbs coming down steep hills some rocky climbs, jumps etc. generally a good place to learn because you can afford to drop your bike, newbieâ??s beware you will drop your bike from time to time especially in off-road conditions. It is also not so extreme as some of the sections at de wild. Off-road conditions can be a normal â??twee spoorâ? or a wet dirt road making it like â??snotâ?.
Here is what happened to some other friends joining us on different bikes.

1st Saterday, Ktm Adventure and KLR join in the fun, why? The need to better their riding skills because they want to do an adventure tour to Lesotho and donâ??t know what the conditions of the roads would be like so they need to prepare themselves.
We all fall down, my bike damage none I pick up and go on, KTM adventure broke indicators and side panel need to replace but bike is OK, after three times on the ground chicken out bike is very heavy to pick up. KLR broke indicators and frame is bend so badly that the alignment between the handlebars and the front wheels are so bad that the bike needed to be put on a bakkie. Damage on KTM about R2000 damage to KLR R4000 and the bike is never the same again.

2nd Saterday Dakar join the pack on route to the â??Sand gateâ? we took some dirt roads it is wet and the road is slippery, Dakar fall down twice again the frame is bend alignment totally screwed between front wheel and handlebars, side panel is hard plastic does not flex the same as the DRZ and broke into pieces, the front brake bend so badly the it is unusable, plastic hand protectors broke into pieces (not made of metal). Donâ??t know what this will cost the poor guy.

I have to make something clear all the bikes are capable to ride their in the correct hands
Lessons learned
A) Newbieâ??s should be careful as to what bike they decide on, rather buy a cheaper enduro type bike to learn on, build confidence and fall with before taking on the bigger GS, Dakar etc.

B) If bigger bikes is better on road, but what is the point in buying an adventure bike if you will never go off road at some stage you want to be able to go on a single track and would not know what is ahead, prepare yourself and know what your bikes limits and your own limits is.

C) Bigger bikes such as the adventure and GS bikes are heavy, it is difficult to pick the bike up, imagine adding luggage.

D) If you can ride on road donâ??t think you will be an good off road rider, different styles and conditions

E) Cheaper bikeâ??s is easier and very cheap to repair by comparison, an enduro bike can take the hits, you donâ??t have to worry every time you drop the bike how much is that going to cost me. Expense kills confidence, if the repairs is only R300 it is fine but R3000 will let you think twice before taking on the tour to Lesotho.

F) Last but not least make very sure you buy the correct bike for the correct application, but beware that sometime you might be force into taking on something outside your current boundaries

G) Know your bikes limits but also your own limits.

Why am I so happy, well I still ride my bike on the road not as comfortable as the GS but at least I can go their because my bike is fully road legal. Off road my bike is king so what I lost on road I gain off road. Dropping the bike is a no brainer little or no damage and repairs are very cheap considering. So in general a great bike to learn on.
Maybe someday I will own one of those fancy bike but till then the DRZ400 will do me just fine and I will use the bike to itâ??s full potential and that is very important.