BMW ECO 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oetie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
BMW GS ECO 2013 – Areena Resort, East London

When the invites for the BMW ECO came out a couple of months ago, I knew that I had to attend. I owned the Beast since September 2006 and did not attend any of the GS Challenges/ECO events. The four months I have spent in Lagos also contributed to the urge to attend the event. So I registered and paid the required fees.

I informed my good friends Herman (Ryperd-Bla-bla-Swartskaap) and Aldo (Touratech) that I registered and paid, Herman did the same and the planning started. First thing I did was looking at possible routes, obviously trying to see if we can either go through Lesotho and/or incorporate passes like Lundeans Neck and/or Naude’s Neck as I have not done either of them.

Over the weeks the routes were settled, accommodation arranged and booked and at last, Wednesday morning, 16 October 2013 arrived.

Herman and I met at the Shell Ultra City in Midrand and we made our way through traffic to the Blockhouse on the R59 for breakfast.

We made our way south, past Vereeniging to Heilbron where we would get onto our first gravel road between Heilbron and Lindley. We adjusted tyre pressure and popped in at Vegkop to see what it was about...

We survived the gravel roads, took it very rustig as the last time I was on gravel with the Beast was on 31 December 2011 when I busted the sump on Breedtsneck..

After a quick break in Lindley we travelled further South. Our route took us though Marquard and Senekal to Wepener. Just outside Senekal I had to stop to take this photo.

Coffee and pancakes were calling at the stall outside Clocolan

The Lord Fraser in Wepener was our lunch stop before we made our way to our guesthouse in Zastron

Aldo joined us at Zastron and we all had an early night as we knew the next day would be a challenge.