BMW F650GS Fuel Pump replacement information

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had to replace my fuel pump after the bike had been out of action for over three years. ( :dousing:Chain Wheel Carrier Bearing Failure causing damage to carrier and chain tensioners.)

My bike's VIN (last 7 digits) ZH87119 on RealOEM.com is listed as R13 (F 650 GS, GS Dakar) BMW F 650 GS 00 (0172,0182). Type Code: 0172

The original Bosch Fuel Pump is 0 580 453 439, it has been replaced by the 0 580 453 UNI.

BMW supply complete fuel pump assembly roughly R5000....

Comparison
                          0 580 453 439        0 580 453 UNI.
Pressure                  3.5 Bar                3.8 Bar
Flow Rate                110 Lt/hr              90 Lt/hr

Fuel Port the same size and electrical connection the same.

The Bosch Pump 0 580 453 UNI purchased from Diesel-Electric PMB (R453.00) comes with the pre-filter and electrical connector bits.
I stripped the old pump out of the Fuel Pump Casing. Having to firstly remove the pre-filter cir clip to allow pump to be removed from opposite end of pre-filter. Be careful plastic bits are brittle from exposure to fuel. My bikes done 80 000km too...

Removing the flexible fuel hose is a mission, I sacrificed the hose for ease of disassembly cutting the end with Stanley knife to remove from casing and pump.

Check with fuelperformance.co.za for the Flexible hose / pipe (R119.00) (8mm ID on pump connection and 9mm on Casing exit port (Fuel tank Fuel exit)

I have experienced no adverse effects from the higher pressure rating, not that 0.3 Bar is much. The Fuel Filter Pressure regulator is set at 3.5 Bar so the excess is returned to tank, I therefore don't believe there will be a problem. The 90 Lt/hr Flow rate also has no notable effect.

Fuel consumption after 1000km is over 30km/Lt on gravel roads here in the Southern Drakensberg at speeds mostly not exceeding 100km - Bike's Top speed tested to see if flow rate had an effect no problems to get to 170km.

;D