BMW R75/6 the start of interesting things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
This isn't my first post anymore, but still my first thread. I have been reading my way around this forum board for quite awhile now, really killing my studies!haha

Which leads me to a little intro and background, I have been a bike lover all my life, the smell of two stroke always brings a smile to my face. Recently, I have caught what I believe is know as, airheadanitis? Don't think I need to say more than that really.

After working for someone over a holiday who was looking for an old airhead I thought I would keep my eye out. I did, and managed to find a gem!

I am a student however so the cash flow is almost always low. But persistence was the key! Eventually found a tiny primavera that nobody wanted to take on and I could afford, through tons of tutoring students at varsity and any odd job I could find I have got, fixed and registered the tiny thing! Thank goodness, was quite a mission and really can't believe that I went for it after years and years of my Dad saying never to buy a bike without papers, it's not worth it.
Anyway, it was on a trip to pick up the last parts that I needed I managed to get in touch with owner who was based in England. My brother is also over there and so he offered to pay the guy in their weird currency and I will repay him with Randelas.

I have always been an offroad and adventure rider guy, loved my KDX200 and more so my brothers '89 XR600 that I adopted when he went to England.
But I quite like this guy,

There were a few little rusty patches, this one from the keys shaking around so gave it a quick sand and a rust treatment and it's hardly noticeable now. Also using an old wine cork as the key chain instead of the plastic tag it used to have.

otherwise, the bike looked to be in great condition! New tires, full tank of petrol and one huge smile for me! So after towing it with my little 1300 at say 60 for fear of loosing my new baby somewhere to the gutters and walls of the highway I got home and was really excited to charge the flat battery and get it going! Hooked up to life support overnight and he was back and well!

I headed out on a ride, might have been foolish but was planning to go to Paternoster, right off the bat having not even started the guy! Anyway, thought I would be smart and run a few errands first and then see how the bike feels, as the last thing I felt like doing was pushing it behind a bush a going in search of help. Anyway, on the open road I noticed a ticking noise coming from the back of the engine/the gearbox area so I got a bit concerned and just did a big loop home. Still don't know what the noise is and I am really confused as it rides really well and there are no other problems, oils are all fine and so I am putting it down to being the first airhead I have ridden and it must be a little new to me. But going to look into it. Hear it could be something in the clutch but it all seems ok, I will take it to the experts soon.

So, loving mechanical things and missing my Dad's garage over the last 5 years of studying, (Masters degree takes time) I thought I would start to tinker…
The first thing to get a look at was the very wobbly speedo, partly because I can't think of anything else. Off it comes and the broken bracket is found! Really happy with myself! Took it to the welders at my faculty and lets play spot the difference, sorry about the bad 2nd photo.

That sucked and then I managed to cut it off skew so the re-weld was out of line and wouldn't mount back onto the bike. I am in the process of getting another one made, but also looking slowly for one that is just lying around at someones house. My Dad is rebuilding an old Triumph Tr3 sports car, from helping with that, I know there is always someone out there with more spare parts than you.
But then, the speedo housing gave me bigger worries.

And the back cover as well as the insides were held in place with chipboard screws which made me feel really sad! The pictures I took in a rush but someone really went to town on this thing, with the, "I will fix it! I will fix it now!" attitude. So, on the lookout for one of them as well for the future, but till then, some masterful pratleys putty did the job!

This is where the project is at the moment though. Looking around for bits as life goes on, would like to replace the mirrors but not 100% sure, kind of like them, except that they say harley davidson on them(Not cool!).  Bike needs battery covers, one center stand spring, maybe original indicators, although I quite like the bar end ones and some small cleaning and TLC and that is about it.

I want to carry on fixing it up so that I know the bike is strong and reliable then, I am sure I will have to relocate once I find a job for next year and would like to make a cool road trip with it up to wherever I will be. It is all part of my plan to ride and see my brother and spend some time with his two boys in England. But I don't know if I will go on this guy.
Anyway, I am glad I finally started this and will add to it once the little parts and fixes come together. Right now the bike is looking quite sad in the garage with no speedo but I am planning to go to town on it with a copper brush and some metal cleaning rubs to get the engine block looking Dapper for this years Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.

Latest posts