BMW1200GSA dies erratically

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My scoots got a funny thing going....busy pissing me off...

Id be riding along, all of a sudden ALL power just drops away.. leaving me in motion without any power...all power off on dash, no warning etc.. was overtaking on the N2 from George a few weeks ago and this happened.

Many say its the micro switch below the ignition.. anyway Jughead in PE offered to look at the switch for me, he cleaned it out and checked to see if it is working, switches as it should..

Often when the bike stands for a while, the ignition takes ages to switch on...
sometimes even after a second or third start the ignition will take forever to switch on..
I checked the wiring (jiggled it at the connector) , didn't make a difference...I thought if the wiring is broken it would make and break sporadically...didn't do this.

I have noticed though that even after riding , eg: to jbay from PE the bike battles to start after a 100km ride.

Im now torn between 2 options...:

1) battery (about a year old, bike does stand quite a bit without a trickle charge)
2) Micro switch, although jughead checked that it works....but not under load or in fitted position... (I noticed that the microswitch has a rotational piece with 2 bumps on it that  depresses the 2 x micro switches seem worn (anyone got an old switch I can bum to see if the rotational piece is better than mine)
3) battery terminals are tight

anyone else experience anything similar?

thanks