Border Patrol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFORCE

Puppy
Reaction score
Pre-trip rush
Runner planned a good trip to coincide with the Wild Dogs 2009 bash. He then announced that he cannot do the trip. This is how we abused Runner’s planning skills. We only found the frame for the saddle bags on the last afternoon before the trip. The bags were finally fitted, but empty at 19h00 – way after trading hours. Now, what to put in them??
BorderPatrol005.jpg

Day 1 – Pretoria to Vostershoop
We started early, and joined my usual highway companions on the N1. This time it was a little different, they had grey faces and were already moody on their way to work. We took the fastest route out of the city and headed to Magaliesburg.
Breakfast was at Koster. The bikes still clean and the new luggage feels like it isn’t there at all.
BorderPatrol007.jpg

Tar finally gave way to dirt and we headed off the R509 towards Doornpoort. RedRider was not making much dust yet.
BorderPatrol010.jpg

I found this nice looking NPC right next to the Ramatlabama river.
BorderPatrol012.jpg

The temperature was getting close to 40. Only one place to hide...
BorderPatrol014.jpg

It was over 40 by now, pity the water belongs to Botswana
BorderPatrol015.jpg

The defence force is not as active as it used to be along this border.
BorderPatrol017.jpg

We hit the Botswana border at the Makgobistad post and followed the old defence force patrol route.
BorderPatrol019.jpg

We left the river and followed what I described as one of the worst roads I have ever seen to Tosca. If only I knew what was still to come.
We ran into some fellow dogs at Tosca. After some tail sniffing, we decided to join them for the night at Molopo game reserve’s camp site.
The locals in Tosca are the friendliest people we have ever seen. Everyone wants to help you find the right road, and everyone has a different idea about which roads are bad – and they have no clue what kinds of roads an XR likes.
The camp site at the Molopo reserve is a very basic but neat facility and amazing stargazing opportunities.
BorderPatrol021.jpg

Day 2 – Vostershoop to Van Zylsrus
We started with refuelling at the Vostershoop Drankwinkel.
BorderPatrol023.jpg

We split up with the heavy bikes, and went looking for the border again. We found ourselves deep in the rough very soon. The defence force does not have much interest in this section of the fence.
BorderPatrol027.jpg

Good fences make good neighbours.
BorderPatrol026.jpg

Three hours and only 75km later, we finally made it out of the sand trap and picked up the pace, but Aksam was beyond our reach now.
Van Zylsrus has the best bar I have ever seen. (Could have been the aircon that got my attention)
We arranged some camping on a nearby farm (Keesi 17)
Red sand and Kameeldorings all around.
BorderPatrol031.jpg

BorderPatrol034.jpg

Day 3 - Van Zylsrus to Boegoeberg
This was a beeline to the Bash.
I finally understood how you can have a pothole on a dirt road. In the Kalahari they are filled with Red sand.
I have also found where ‘Deben’ is. I thought it was in KZN.
BorderPatrol037.jpg

RedRider and his Red Ride
BorderPatrol045.jpg

GFORCE almost removed his disguise.
BorderPatrol051.jpg

I thought we were going to a Biker Bash, apparently they have just the place for that out here.
BorderPatrol054.jpg

But first Rikus had to show us that you do not need tyre levers when you have ‘pramspanners’ like that. He can put a tyre on with his bare hands, and also tries to catch patryse with his mouth while riding.
BorderPatrol062.jpg

I wish I knew the value of all the equipment over here...
BorderPatrol073.jpg

And then it was time for the festivities. Ganjora’s eyes drained all the colour from my camera.
BorderPatrol081.jpg

Day 4 - Boegoeberg to Orania
Sunday was an easy ride, thankfully. We have also left all the sand behind. The road to Prieska is a real beauty.
BorderPatrol085.jpg

Nice Jacket GFORCE
PB150138.jpg

The overnight stop was at Orania. If you speak Afrikaans, and use a few words that are not allowed in the Republic, you will fit right in.
BorderPatrol103.jpg

They do have some interesting architecture, and practice sustainable development principles that could teach all of us something.
BorderPatrol104.jpg

Day 5 – Orania to Hobhouse
Not far from Orania you will find infrastructure of the old republic lying in ruins.
BorderPatrol110.jpg

BorderPatrol109.jpg

BorderPatrol113.jpg

RedRider and Red Bricks
BorderPatrol111.jpg

From the Gariep dam we turned north, and headed for Smithfield. Found a beautiful restaurant operated by ex Joburgers. They see many bikers and keep the beer extra cold just for them.
BorderPatrol116.jpg

Small towns are great. You can still drink with the SAP. Just remember to greet everyone by hand in Hobhouse.
BorderPatrol119.jpg

Day 6 – Hobhouse to Pretoria
At least the river along the Lesotho border has some water.
PB170186.jpg

We exchanged sand for some tricky rocks.
PB170188.jpg

The rest of the Border Patrol was along the Lesotho border. This one is patrolled regularly by the SAP.
BorderPatrol122.jpg

GFORCE’s back problems forced us to cut the trip short, and limp home.
BorderPatrol123.jpg

Map.jpg