Botswana Kubu Island trip July 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
A group of us approximately 12 with one or two backup vehicles are planning a ride to Kubu Island during the weekend of 16 July 2011. The current planning is to get to Khama Rhino Sanctuary on 15 July - Kubu Island 16 July - Khama Rhino Sanctuary 17 July.

Oetie and a group will travel through the Martinspost border and will have a sleep over somewhere near the border on 14 July. I will be travelling via Gaborone.

After reading the relevant posts here regarding Kubu island I require your sage advice regarding some issues which I will list separately:

1. Is Kubu accessible during July if so is it only with nobblies or can we attempt with road tyres.
2. Where do I book for Kubu or do we just pitch up. I understand that you need to take everything (water, wood etc) with you and then take everything along as you leave.
3. Are we allowed to take meat along or should we buy in Botswana if so where I understand that the inspection point for diseases is just after Palapaye.
Can anybody suggest interesting routes from Khama to Kubu again please consider that apart from Oetie a lot of mamparras are going on the trip.

I am eagerly waiting for your responses or any further advice that you consider essential for doing this trip.

Groete