breakdown at night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dassie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
So we decided to hit town, buy a couple of things go for a beer or two and a nice steak. Now to give youy an idea, town is 80 Km away, so it makes way for a good ride.
All went according to plan, except we stayd much later and had more beer than planned.
Now first rule - don't ride at night if you can help it.......well, the beer was cold, so we decided to bend the rule a little and have a moonlight ride back  :lol8:

All went well on the way back, except for my headlight going off sometimes, and after i touch the wires it comes on again. :eek7:
40 Km away from town, dead goes the light.  :eek: faark and it was in the middle of nowhere.
So after inspection, figured out that the one terminal of the globe broke off, and thats why it started giving trouble when we left town. Tried to fit it back on snugly, so that we can get home, and shorted the wires, blew a fuse.........double faaaark, now i have to take the seat and side pannels off to replace the fuse  :angry1:
Swambo sugests that we ride home without lights  :eek7:........i just said nodafok, at least weve got the moonlight to see the road, but sure as hell other drivers are not going to see us  :3some:
So in darkness i battled to get the tools out, strip what i have to to replace the freaking fuse, and refit all the panels and seat.
So off we go again, at least we have two led spotlights on, endicators and tail lamp. Cant see far, so we head the road at about 60 - 80 in the moonlight. Cars brighting us from the front cause we look like a bicycle :xxbah:
We found a small truck going at 80, so decided to piggy back behind him. At least the cars didnt bright us any more. About 20 Km from home, a small car passed us, so we piggy backed after him, only thing was he was doing about 120  ::) Aaaaand after 5 Km, he turned off. Last 15 Km we did solo in the dark, until we find the dirt road turn off.
Ok, dirt roads in night could be tricky, dirt roads at night without lights........... :mwink:.....well the sand was tricky, as you kind off try to stick to the middle of the road, and generally the thick sand lies there.....not that one think of it at the time you know.....
At the gate, now we have to look out for the ellies. Riding at night on the farm is hazardous, the ellies hate that. riding at night with a bike, without lights.....is just looking for kark. :imaposer:

Any way, couple of lessons learned.
Cary a torch with you in the tool box (any torch. Even a lighter would have helped)
Cary a spare globe  :3some:especially if your bike has one light.
Dont drink too many beers before you go home.
DONT RIDE AT NIGHT WITH YOU BIKE  :lol8:
Dont try to bend above mentioned rule :imaposer:

Any way, we got home safe, moer of an adventure, but next time il think twice  :deal: