Breakfast on Breedtsnek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble steed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Since Tulip and I missed out on some other rides, we decided to go for our own little day trip on Sunday. Original plan was to leave Pta at about 3:30am and race to Breedtsnek to catch the sunrise and something to eat. Unfortunately, our lack of sleep past few days got the better of us, so we only left at 6:30...

The planned route was via Hartes, through Skeerpoort, up and over Breedtsnek, along the magalies ridge towards Rustenburg, and wind our way back along dirt roads via Magaliesburg. Again, due to general state of tiredness, we stopped for a long rest at Breedtsnek and went no further!!

Sometimes it is about the destination!

First photo opportunity putting ion petrol and exel, got hold of red, blue AND yellow. that must win a photo composition prize..?

We missed out the coffee thing at the dam, headed straight for skeerpoort. The animals where out as usual. An tulip got caught being shutter happy!

The bike was running well. I was realising how much my confidence was knocked with my little fall in July, Very little gravel since then, and we pottered along at 40-60km/h through the dirt roads. Still think our bike is damn pretty. Maybe it's the Mandarin?

Eventually we reached the base of the little pass. Have always wanted to take a photo of that sign! While we were busy with our antics we got passed by a KTM640? who seemed to be having as much fun as us, albeit at a much higher speed!  ;D  ;D

I had recently become bored with the Trailwing that came with the bike, and had also not so recently been entirely unsuccessful at trying to change a tube. In that I could not get the tire back on the rim. So we purchased something different before the trip. And then at the top of the mountain, saw a nastey piece of wire sitting there... Pulled it out and decided to measure tire pressure in a while to see in Fuggit working or not. good excuse to sit and do nothing  :D

And then the picnic began! Tulip had kindly carried a picnic set on her back (since the luggage rack was ful of compressors and tubes and stuff), appeltiser, nice buns, and a rather thin blanket  :eek:

After a good meal it was time to admire the wildlife. And our bike. It must be the Mandarin!!

For those who have not been up there, the road is actually in a good condition, and very peaceful on top, apart from the odd mountain biker with loud pipes... We went camera happy!

After been thoroughly exhausted by all the photographing, had a little snooze on top of the mountain. Until we where rudely awolen by AmaRR and Slainche  :eek:  :eek:  K we where already awake. And coz of there niceness to drive off the road and come say hello AmaRR managed to not see a rock and remove the GSA's bashplate. Sorry!!

No photos, it was not appropriate  ::) But can see how comfee Tulip can be on a rock!  After that we tried a little bit of riding on top, then headed home.

Oh yes, the tire never deflated

So home before 1pm, time for a good afternoon sleep! Though we never finished half the route still great fun! We love eachnother, we love our (slow) ride, we love our (mandarin) bike!

Till next time!