Broken clutch cover XT660R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyD

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
So this morning I decided to go for a solo run along the railway service roads. The idea was to see what the road is like from Heidelberg to the JHB motocross club and if its doable on the plastics.
All went well until I got just north of Henley-on-klip when I hit quite a big rock. I was doing about 50kmh and it happened just as I looked down on the GPS to see where the next turn off is.
At first I did not think it was too bad, I've got a bash plate and all. Luckily I looked down just after the impact, and what I saw made me go weak at the knees, and I shat my pants at the same time.
Engine oil pissing out all over my right boot!! I instinctively flicked the kill switch and came to a stop to assess the damage.

This is what I saw:

Now I am stranded quite far from home and very pissed off!
Got hold of my brother and he came to the rescue.

Arrived home and took the (useless) bashplate off.

Rang Shimwells to get a price on a new casing. R3900! Thats when Braam told me that they can be repaired. My reply was that I don't think it's fixable but I emailed him a photo for him to have a look.
He came back to me saying "Maklik man! R450."

Phew what a relief! Now I've got to remove the casing and get it fixed.

My only concern now is that the bashplate is not up to the job. I certainly dont want this to happen again!

Do any of the Dogs have experience with the Hyde bashplates for the XTR fitted with a high pipe?