BUMBLING AROUND SOUTHERN AFRICA, the plan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camino Cerdo

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
The trip– BUMBLING AROUND SOUTHERN AFRICA
The People – Bob and Martha from USA (Western Washington State)
The Ride – two up on BMW 1200 GSA
The When – Starting Nov. 23 m/l and ride for two months
The Plan – cram as much into two months as I can.  I have traveled by motorcycle a bit, (the Americas, New Zealand , Australia) some on Harleys and Some on Buell Ulysses.  All good rides but was limited some on where I should go.  When in South America I found the really neat places were often up dirt or gravel roads.  So I have switched to the 1200 GSA.  Will still be two up with all our stuff so will stick to mostly tar roads but will be able to run up the gravel/dirt roads when I want to.
General travel plans, we have packed our camping gear and will camp out when we can.  The theory is, the cheaper I travel the farther I can get before the money runs out.  Would like to meet the people, see the countries, see the wild life, visit a few farms (we are farmers), gain an understanding of the history of the region.  We are seeing the world in stages, can escape for two months in our winter but have no set place we need to get to on this leg.  So if we only make it half way through the list when we run out of time we will find a place to store the bike and pick up the journey next year. 

1. Johannesburg start point, get the bike set up and spend a few days in area
2. Travel north east to Swaziland
3. South along the coast to Durban area
4. Inland for a bit of wandering
5. Lesotho
6. South to Port Elizabeth
7. Maybe a run to the middle
8. Cape Town
9. Namibia
10. Windhock
11. Rent car and tour Etosha Nation Park
12. Botswana, enter NW corner then along Okavango Delta
13. Maun to Nata then North
14. Victoria Falls
15. Zambia head NW then South to
16. Zimbabwe
17. Harare, check on visas here for trip north next year
18. Malawi
19. From here we ether go north to Kenya or South to Johannesburg, most likely will be running out of time and head south.
20. store bike till next year when we will head up the east coast to Italy where I can store bike till the next year.

Put it all in a list I am not sure it is doable in two months.  This is also the most planning I have ever done for a trip, normally I run on the theory that if I don’t know where I am going I can’t get lost.

Questions:
  I have 9200 K on my tyres now and they look good for another 6000k m/l Would like to put on Heidenau K 60 Scouts  150/70 B17 and 110/80 B19 Before I head into Namibia. Are these available in South Africa?  Any recommendation for dealers Cape Town or north toward Namibia?

What would you put on the “must see/do list for a couple of crazy foreigners with one shot to see Southern Africa?

Is Etosha the best place to spend a few days seeing the wildlife or is there better options?

Any planned rides or rallies we might be able to make?

Anyone want to join us for a part of trip?

Any and all help in planning this adventure most appreciated.

Bob and Martha  :ricky: :ricky: