Cape Town - Groblershoop - Orkney and beyond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Net om julle jaloers te maak

I am planning a working trip from Cape Town to Groblershoop to Orkney (or there somewhere) then to Witbank and then back to O.R.Thambo.  I will fly to Ndola in Zambia for two to 4 days (depending on clients).  Back at ORT I will go to Steelpoort (naby Lydenburg) vir so drie dae.  Dan is dit Nelspruit en moontlik Swaziland vir twee dae. Ek moet dan ook by Umthata, Oos Londen en Port Alfred 'n draai maak.

Dit gaan 'n solo trip wees want ek moet redelik baie van die tyd by kliente wees en in die aande moet ek voorberei ens.  The wife and I normally do these trips and then we camp most of the times.  This one will be mostly a backpackers/guesthouse affair.

Quick background.
Stay in Cape Town. I automate ready-mix concrete plants all over Southern Africa. Normally fly out, hire car drive to site, do job, drive back and fly home.  If possible I did it by bike.

Ek het al die laaste jaar gekyk hoe ek 'n 'lang' trip kan doen (Was reeds Botswana en Umthata (2x) en Mosselbaai toe.

Ek het 'n 650 Dakar gery (my vrou ry gewone 650GS) maar 'n voorwiel issue het veroorsaak dat dit nou eers staan. (dis 'n ander storie daai).  ek het so ongeveer 15 000km grondpad per jaar met die Dakkie gedoen.

This trip
1200GS with most things that can open and close. Hard luggage with a soft bag for the 'work items' like hard hat and safety shoes. (they do not like ATTGAT at a mine  :mad: )

I will do all travelling at a relaxed pace and do a fair amount of gravel. (Weather, roads etc depending as I ride solo)  The trip will be documented with video and stills as I plan to include historic and scenic places.

In kort gaan dit nie 'n 'hectic' trip wees en ek gaan nie 'hectic' paaie kies (hoop ek).  Ek gaan wel kyk hoeveel passe ek in kan insluit.

When
I should have left Sunday 30th March 2014 (Tomorrow) but I only took delivery of the bike Tuesday and could not get it registered on my name Friday (Swazi border). (ek is effe deur die k@kie$)  I also could not organize the delivery of the computers and other 'gee wiz' stuff in time for the courier to pick up. I MUST LEAVE AT THE LATEST Tuesday as customer 1 and 3 are bit of a tight schedule. (Groblershoop and Kusile)

How long
Seker so twee weke. Ek mag moontlik huistoe vlieg vir 'n dag of twee en dan weer die terug om verder te gaan.

How Far
At this stage it looks as if the trip will be more than 5000km.  depending on a lot of things it could be 3 to 4 weeks or longer and 'much' more kilometers.

Anyone wants my job.
NO WORRY, NOT FOR SALE.  :imaposer: My leuse is baie eenvoudig.  "I make memories, not money"

Tot ek op die trip is.

Adie
www.rockfox.co.za

Attachments

• Rockfox 1200.JPG
    Rockfox 1200.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 43