Cave Girl & Misty does Groot Marico

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Myself and Cave Girl had the weekend all to ourselves and we decided it called for a ride. Bosberaad happened to be on the Friday, so what the heck, we kicked off the weekend there.  :mwink:

As per the tradition, what happens at the Bosberaad stays at the Bosberaad, but I’m sneaking in a few pics  ;) – thanks to Steve and Sam for hosting us I really enjoyed it!!  :thumleft:

… and also in keeping with the tradition, the person who was the drunkest the night before is the person who will drop his bike on the way out…  :pot:

001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

After having a nice breakfast in Magaliesburg we set off on our own. We hadn’t figured out the gps quite yet, but with help from the others and the manual maps we had more or less an idea where we were heading, or at least where we wanted to end up – Groot Marico.

We wanted to do as much dirt as possible and we managed to find a road just off the D509 to Basfontein, which was rather muddy and sandy but you will be pleased to know that both of us handled it like pro’s and there were no drops for the whole weekend.  :ricky:

We then did some tar to Swartruggens and then again found some dirt in order to bypass the toll. We ended up on the road that goes past the dam and got to Groot Marico just after 4. We found the nearest pub, had a few cold ones and settle into a B&B close by.

GM220510045.jpg

GM220510047.jpg

GM220510048.jpg

GM220510049.jpg

GM220510054.jpg

Sunday we were even more determined to do dirt as it’s just so much more fun! We headed on gravel all the way from GM towards Bokkraal, Doornpoort and Koster.

GM220510051.jpg

Just before Koster we stopped for a quick break and this weird looking guy comes cruising down the road, he then invites us for coffee just up the road where his farm is – me being the careful one wasn’t too comfortable with this idea, I mean you never know,  :-\ but Cave Girl assured me that farm people are ok  :D – so off we went. It was rather interesting; he has an array of bikes lying all over the place, funny looking things called Emos and the cutest sheep.

GM220510056-1-1.jpg

GM220510059.jpg

GM220510060.jpg

But it was getting close to 12 so we didn’t stay to long and were on our way again. We then found the road from Boons to Magaliesburg and all in all had a very pleasant days riding.

GM220510061.jpg

We again stopped for a cold one before finally heading home. It was an anti-climax after the great weekend, but at least the next one is almost here.  :) Thanks Cave Girl for joining me, it was loads of fun – even our bikes looked like they enjoyed it.

GM220510063-2.jpg

Latest posts