Cederberg round trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
;D
Cederberg round trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugF0jFcm_uA

FALLING asleep to the soothing sounds of frogs croaking, fish splashing in the reeds, night birds out on the hunt and the odd lamb bleating for its mother is like a magic tonic after a long day’s offroad riding.
GOPR0991.jpg

Calle and I were camped at Die Mond in the Cederberg on our last night of a three day trip from Cape Town via Ceres, Droehoek, Op Die Berg, Oasis, Algeria, Clanwilliam, Citrusdal, Katbakkies and Die Mond.
Late last week I met Calle for the first time on the Wilddog forum asking for a partner to accompany him on his first offroad ride on his newly acquired 750 Tenere.
We finally met up at the Engen One Stop on a blustery and wet Friday morning and I am sure Calle was stunned to meet up with an old rider as only last week on the bash to the Tankwa a younger rider remarked that he thought I was 20 and not close to 100.
Fortunately as we closed in on Wellington and hit the Porcelain Road the rain slacked off to a slight drizzle and the run through to Riebeekasteel went off without a hitch.
Later we refuelled at Ceres had a light breakfast and struck off up the Theronsberg Pass and then headed left onto the Droehoek gravel road.
By now Calle had a better feel of his new steed, plus his luggage was staying secure.
Op Die Berg reached we filled up for the last time and headed through to Oasis, stopping along the way for the odd photo shoot. By now the weather was warm and dry and once at oasis it was time to relax and reflect on the day.
Being Friday a smattering of locals joined us all for drinks before tucking into one of the famous rump steaks.
In typical fashion the night was cold, winter is definitely ready to visit the Cederberg.
On Saturday morning we were met with a host of offroaders mostly trailering their plastics and ready to ride the various tracks around Oasis.
We were ready to roll by 9.30am ready for a fairly long day in the saddle and struck off for Sanddrift and Algeria. Calle now had a chance to test his bike on a badly corrugated road plus sand in places.
GOPR0927.jpg

Algeria reached we headed off for Clanwilliam and an early brunch and then headed to Citrusdal for a final refuelling and shopping for meat at the Spar.
It is always fun and interesting to be in a country town on a Saturday morning while all the locals frantically go about their shopping.
I stayed guard over the bikes and had the pleasure of listening to three young locals discussing the various parts of my bike.
The more knowledgeable pointed out the finer points while his young partners absorbed the info.
As time was ticking away we headed out and up and over a very rutted pass into the Koue Bokkeveld.
Along the way we were stopped by a local in a bakkie who was about to buy a second hand DRZ 400 and wanted as much info as we could give him. Especially after seeing my DR650.
Although on tar, the ride from Tandfontein to Op Die Berg still rates as one of the finest roads in the country, flanked by some of the best scenery in the world.
GOPR0973.jpg

Katbakkies was taken at a good pace and then onto the R355 for the fast and pleasant run to the turnoff to Die Mond and the myriad of gates one has to open and close.
Here Calle got to really test his bike in sand as in parts there was stretches of fairly substantial loose stuff.
GOPR0991.jpg

Die Mond always remains a tranquil place to visit and we got a waterfront camp site plus a spectacular sunset, great braai and a good nights sleep.
GOPR0978.jpg

The following morning we walked to the bushmen paintings, packed up camp and hit the tracks back to Ceres.
GOPR0997.jpg

Then seven kilometres out of Ceres the Tenere coughed twice and ran out of juice.
Although we tapped about 2 litres out of my bike it refused to start.
I quickly ran into Ceres filled up and then decanted about 5  litres into the Tenere.
The relief on Calle’s face as the bike fired up was worth the entire trip.
Early lunch in Ceres and the ride home went without drama and ended off a fine 841km ride around the jewel of the Western and Northern Cape.

Robin Brown