Centurion - Amersfoort "Quicky"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Had to do a quick business run to Amersfoort to measure up equipment at a site. Got that "itch" that needs scratching You Know  ;) Me thinks the GS needs to see that side of the country  :mwink: I decide not to do the Delmas , Kriel, Belfast route because of potholes and leaving in the dark, so decided to route via Standerton.
Still dark and the beast & I depart Centurion. Stopped at the Total south of JHB and found this very appropriate sign.

Passed Hiedleburg, and left to Balfour, Greylingstad, and Standerton.  Cosmos at Sunrise

11km after Standerton, me turns left at the first "Amersfoort" sign I get. GREAT !! Gravel travel starts. Mist is getting bad. The visor gets wettish, open the thing up, to see better, then the "shades" get misted up too. Put them away!

Now I have to crawl along until it gets better. Not a nice experience. Cant see lekker where you're going, riding on "marbles" ocasionally, then along rutted portions. Balance and savvy get you through this! Things get slightly better

Road gets narrow, and the road gets this very lonely feeling (in the mist) Check how tall the grass is!

Out of the mist loomed danger. Road partially washed away, 24km from the R35. (Kaalspruit)

Back on the tar (R63) LOOK at the condition of the road in the foreground of the pic, and the worst was still to come!

This is the condition of the R35, belfast to Amersfoort. Just over the rise, I actually encountered moerse patches of pot holes, where the coal trucks were dodging each other, for the best line of "avoidence" Really Scary Stuff !!

Did my thing at Amersfoort, then decided to return via Perdekop to Standerton and on home, in Centurion. The portion of road from Amersfoort to Majuba Power Station, where the coal-haul trucks turn off, has been decemated, totally destroyed!There is just no way a normal sedan vehicle can ride this roads, let alone at night. A sad reality of the consequences of nil maintenance of infrastucture.
On the way home, I had to stop and take this pic of the Cosmos.

Then same place different angle.

Arrived home after a great run. +-/ 580km. Put the beast away. Will wash her when I return from PE in 2 -3 weeks time! Hereafter it is the other beast from PE to Clan William for the Outrider Fest! Looking forward to that!!

Attachments

• IMG_0706b.jpg
    IMG_0706b.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 175