CERES KAROO RUN - Plaas basaar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Plaas Basaar - Sonop Farm, 3 October 2009

This could be a long shot trying to get something off the ground within 2 weeks time, BUT...

Cousins of mine annually holds a huge(in Karoo terms) "basaar" on their farm Sonop in the Calvinia Karoo area, after visiting them this weekend I thought about an idea..........

Let's try and start up an annual KAROO RUN to the farm on the day of the basaar, enjoy a little time there, it is promised that you'll get an excellent lunch with a spitbraai, homebaked bread etc. This will NOT be a fund raiser, you pay only for anything you buy at the basaar. It will be a one day trip, so the people at home won't be upset about yet another weekend away. The route will be something like this :

Gathering in Ceres at 8h00 and leaving at 8h30.
Riding towards the R355 to Cavinia via Theronsberg Pass.
Carrying on with the R355 for 190km from Ceres where we'll reach the farm Sonop and our venue for lunch. This is lekke fast running gravel so we'll be there within 2 hours.
The route back would take us back on the R355 down to the Katbakkies turn-off where we'll ride via Skitterykloof & Katbakkies Pass to Op-die-Berg (160 km from Sonop).
Then down Gydo Pass to the Hamlet Hotel for Good Bye drinks (another 40 km) and that's it.

Fuel could be organised at the farm, I'll be needing it myself!

Not a huge mission to do this one, just an outride to see how people do things in the Karoo and back home! If I get 10 bikes including myself we go! (I'll probably go even if it's only myself and Trokkie)

I need to know how much fuel to organise, so let's hear............ :thumleft: