CERES - Snow Run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR250
Anyone wanting to ride up the mountain in the rain/snow, read further >

Meet: Matroosberg Farm (see map)
Date: 29 July 2007 (this Sunday)
Time: be there at 9am
Cost: R150.00 per bike (entry fee)
Equipment:
  • Warm, Protective clothing
  • Rain suit
  • Warm & w/proof gloves
  • Backpack
  • Food & Drink (not pub stuff)
  • Tool & punture lit (if you want?)
  • Camera

PM me if you keen to ride with us, so we can keep a lookout for you  ;D

The Matroosberg farm is +/- 180km from Cpt, if you drive via Bains Kloof pass, and is at the foot of the Matrooberg peak which is the highest point in the hex mountain range.

There are various dirt roads and places to play around on at the farm. The 4x4 route up the mountain is +/- 15km one way excluding the extra loop at the top. Relative altitude gain on the 4x4 route is +/- 1150m, which is a bit more that having to ride from the V&A Water front to the top of table mountain. The cost per bike is R150 per day / weekend (No idea why it is not cheaper for a day?)

The route up is quite rugged and there are plenty of rocks, with all the really technical stuff near the start. After the technical stuff there is a nice easy riding section until you reach the neck / look out. At this point most 4x4 vehicles turn around and go back down. From the neck the route becomes a consistent rocky road.

There is currently snow on the mountains near Stellenbosch, so there is defiantly snow at Matroosberg. The Weather forecast for the next few days is for more bad weather, which will bring more snow to Matroosberg with Sunday predicting some rain in the morning. If it does rain on Sunday, it will be snowing while we are on the mountain.
If you do come up you will need to ride with a pack to carry warm clothes (My goggles were freezing up with ice while I rode last time), and some food. The ride up is not too heavy on fuel, my stock YZ250 makes it fine with a full 8l. I would also recommend wearing typical protective riding gear as we did have someone fall and hurt their elbow the first time.

Of interest, I have been told by the farmer that of the +/- 10 BMW GS riders they have had try the route up only 1 has made it! So make sure your bike is the right choice and be prepared to possibly drop it!

Some pics of the last ride, this year.

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 145
  • mb00.JPG
    mb00.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 143
  • mb02.JPG
    mb02.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 143
  • mb04.JPG