Ceres to Citrusdal - Middleburg Pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sedate

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Spent New Year on a farm near Citrusdal off the R303. Took the GS for it's second foray on dirt (and my third ever) along the way.

Nice views and some good road surface........ at least until the corrugations! Still learning, never been on any off road course and I found it pretty tough going. Everytime I would stand up I felt way better but I now know I definitely need raisers and bigger pegs....... and to get way fitter than I currently am if I intend doing this regularly.

I found the corrugated road extremely difficult to ride on at about 40km/h with the back wheel slowing me down when it lost purchase with the ground and the handlebars attempting to being torn from my grip making me snatch quite often on the throttle further compounding the discomfort.

What's the correct manner of handling the corrugated roads? I didn't speed up too much to test if that improved matters because of my lack of experience but I noticed a few bakkies flying past me seemed to cope better with the rattling than I did.

I have attached a few pics of my journey on dirt.

Attachments

• Just outside Citrusdal.JPG
    Just outside Citrusdal.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 301
  • Middleburg Mountain Pass.JPG
    Middleburg Mountain Pass.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Treacherous bend.JPG
    Treacherous bend.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 296
  • View from dirt road 3.JPG
    View from dirt road 3.JPG