Chain advice/help/info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
So on my recently purchased XR650R a chain with a "clip on" masterlink was fitted. Due to laziness I never go around to having a riveted link fitted so this morning said link decided to explode  :dousing:  :xxbah:

So after getting help and fitting another masterlink I got the bike home. The case saver did it's job well, unfortunately where the lower bolt attaches to the gearbox casing the whole tab on the casing broke off. That I can fix with some pratley steele or I'll have it welded.

While riding home slowly with the new masterlink I heard a strange grinding noise from the chain and countershaft sprocket. I suspect (and hope) it is the chain that is damaged and also grinding against the now out of position case saver and not the countershaft or countershaft bearing. Can a broken chain damage the countershaft and bearing?  :-[

So I am going to have a new chain with riveted link fitted however I am considering buying myself a chain tool to use on longer trips if need be. Which tool would you guys recommend? I am looking at this now and the price looks ok'ish https://www.merkado.co.za/products/chain-breaker-tool-rivet-tool-for-motorcycle-chain-motorbike-chain-rivet-tool-set?utm_source=Click&utm_medium=Channel&utm_campaign=PriceCheck_ZA&ref=SFDR_29946889&variant=28097668742 

Does anyone know where I could buy a chain tool like this around the Cape? Else I will order this one

Latest posts