Chain, sprockets and missing O-rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperMan

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi all

While washing the bike I saw an O-ring lying on the ground. A quick overview of the chain showed that at least 7others have joined their brother. Which probably means I need a new chain and a set of sprockets.

The current set has 26,500km on it and the chain shows very little signs of wear. It is not stretched (or at least it is within tolerances). Sprockets also still look very good.

I've done a bit of reading on the forum and it seems like a D.I.D. Chain is on the menu. What I could not find (read maybe a bit lazy) is a solid recommendation on the sprockets. Anything specifically I should be looking out for? I mainly commute and would like the next set to last at least another 25-30k km.

I am also considering adding a tooth to the front sprocket (16 -> 17 teeth) and dropping one on the rear (42-> 41 teeth)  This is the same as the standard f650 twin gearing. The advantages seems to be that the bike will be a bit faster, run around 450rpm lower at the same speed, and the chain/sprocket set should wear more evenly since the same tooth and link does not come into contact as often. Any thoughts on this setup? Who here has done it?

Thanks!!