Chinese KTM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
As the route for 2013 Amageza became clearer, I used my KTM 250 SX-F and my Big Boy 250 SRX  :p to train for rocky terrain (I should have trained for river crossings, but that's a different story).  Essentially I used both bikes like trials bike (even though the BB is as heavy as a Fortuner).  After a while, the KTM's front wheel started to resemble a stop sign - lots of straight lines.  Going fast invited a tank slapper.  The Big Boy's front wheel just did not suffer any damage other than scrapes and gouges.

Those who have done this, will know that a KTM Excel rim will be about R3500, give or take.  The real possibility of screwing that up again, made me decide to fit a Big Boy rim on my KTM.  A whole Big Boy wheel will cost substantially less than R1k.

That's for a rim, hub, spokes, nipples and wheel bearings.

There are 2 issues with the BB rim: 

The excel is a 1.6 width rim

The BB is a 1.85.  That worked out to an effective 5mm difference.

The other issue is that the BB rim uses smaller nipples.  Every nipple hole had to be drilled out to 8,5 mm, a 0,5mm difference.  Obviously the rim is aluminium, so that takes 3 minutes.  Just take care to observe the slope of the holes.

You disassemble your new Big Boy wheel with a bolt cutter as you only want the rim.

When you disassemble the KTM rim, use zip-ties to keep the spoke pairs together, that makes reassembly a piece of cake

Assemble, tighten and true the wheel.  After about 2 or so hours of gently faffing around, you have a new, high strength Chinese KTM front wheel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us