Clarens - Sani Pass - Mokhotlong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
We just returned from a Lesotho-Sani trip and felt I needed to let you know what happened and me new found praise for these tyres.

Bike is a KTM 990 S and my wife was pillion.
Our itinerary was as follows :
19 Dec Jhb to Clarens
20 Dec Clarens to Himeville
21 Dec Himeville up Sani Pass to Mokhotlong
22 Dec Mokhotlong down Sani Pass to Himeville to Giants Castle
23 Dec Giants Castle to Jhb

Our 1st bit of badluck came at Kamberg, flat front.

Special mention should go to Wayne Duck who was willing to drive from Underburg to rescue us
2nd Mention is to Mountain Shadow Lodge who collected us, bike on trailer.ont was repaired and they insisted we stay over and braai with them, which we did as it was past 5pm already. They rode with us the next morning to Himeville just to make sure the tyre was fine and we made it no problem, what a amazing bunch of guy's who just love riding their bikes.
I would even recommend visiting them as they have lots of trails and adventure routes and excellent accommodation.

We arrived on Sunday evening in Mokgotlong at 6pm and my front tyre was flat.
It is a Heidenau Scout  tubeless but it had a tube fitted a while back.
We could only have it fixed the next morning, which we did.
When we left Mokhotlong at 8am and we picked up a puncture about 15km out of town.
Knowing that the tyre shop in Mokhotlong would not be able to fix it again as they failed to do so the 1st time, we tried with tyre weld but to no avail.
We had decided to try and make the border post at Sani were we could phone Himeville Yamaha to try and get help from them.
Or at least ride untill the front tyre disintegrates and see how close we got to the border.
We rode 2 up on the dirt road 46km to the Sani border post with every German tourist pointing out our flat tyre...
Arriving at Sani border post we could not get cell signal due to heavy rain and nobody was going down in 4x4's due to the wet conditions.
My wife jumped on the back again and down we went in the rain with the flat front for 13km...
We reached the SA border post , stamped our passport and continued to on dirt for 22km until we reached tar road and then 20km later we arrived at Himeville Yamaha.

It had taken us just under 5 hours and 95km of dirt, rocks and mud.
I asked the sales man at Yamaha to replace tyre and tube as both had taken a severe beating, it felt like I had hit every single rock coming down Sani Pass.
They stripped the front wheel and to my amazement there was absolutely nothing wrong with the tyre, incredible.
We fitted a new tube and R170 later departed for Giants Castle.

I will recommend this tyre to absolutely anybody and anyone is welcome to contact me as a reference.
Unfortunately it was so stressful we did not take to many pics

Attachments

• Flat 1.JPG
    Flat 1.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 585
  • Flat 2.JPG
    Flat 2.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 576