Cpt Patensie Cpt - 7-10 May 09

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uyster

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Long awaited trip finally arived, we met at Lanners landing outside Klapmuts and we were so lucky with the weather.
There were 2x 990 KTM’s,2 x 800 BMW’s and 4 x 1200 GS BMW’s and one 650 Bmw Dakar
019_19.jpg

Kogmanskloof
DSC_0010.jpg

Our trip started on the 7 May at in Cpt. We rode to Montagu had breakfast and left for the Anysberg Nature reserve with the help of T4A and my faithfull 276.
034_34.jpg

The ride was technical every here and there with different terrain varying from sand to mud and stone.
DSC_0049.jpg

The Anysberg is spectacular and I will definately do this in the Cruiser with my family at some stage.

From there it was gravel roads at sometimes up to 160km/h to Seweweekspoort and re-grouping in Calitzdorp.

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

We hugged the Swartberg all along the river and up the mountain to the top. It was getting dark and I realised that we will have to do the last bit into the Hell in the dark which proved very intimidating to most riders.

042_42-1.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

046_46.jpg

IMG_9399.jpg

We stayed in old farmhouses and Annatjie Mostert of the original farm made us all feel very welcome with her “boerekos” that night and farm breakfast the next morning.

049_49-1.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

I can recommend this experience to anyone and the history behind the Hell is very interesting
especially hearing it from Annatjie whose great grandfather was one of the first inhabitants more than 200 years ago.

Only delay or breakdown was a puncture the whole trip, fortunately saw it the morning before breakfast.

DSC_0069.jpg

Next morning we departed to Prince Albert, Willowmore and via back farm roads hugged the back mountains of the Baviaans untill you crossed the Grootriver.
059_59.jpg

067_67.jpg

Somewhere between Steytlerville and Willowmore

070_70.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

On T4 A it shows as a road but this was merely a little path and very technical in places, loose rocks and steep climbs The guys with the big GS 1200's did very well as I expected a bit of a delay through these obsticles. The road leads to the top of the Winterhoek mountains from where you descent into the Patensie Valley ( if you keep left you end up in Uitenhage which is the Elandsrivier road). EC Wilddogs will know this well

IMG_9406.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

We stayed at a tented camp Tia Ghee and what a wonderfull place and facilities, can highly recommend this place. We were also catered for which made logistics a lot easier.
Fenderbender and two of his mates joined us that night to do the Baviaans stretch with us, glad to meet you guys  :thumleft:

DSC_0105.jpg

Fenderbender brushing his teeth on the rd to Baviaans

DSC_0109.jpg

The gate at the entrance to Baviaans for a re group and signing in

DSC_0110.jpg

Sat morning we entered the Baviaans. The climbs to the top of Bergplaas deteriorated a lot since my last visit.
Our backup vehicle

096_96-1.jpg

How not to watercross by Charlie Wright !!! :lol:
DSC_0138.jpg

How to do it by Fenderbender

DSC_0139.jpg

There is not a lot of water at the moment in the kloof except for Smitskraal where we all made it through without an incident.

Relaxing at Uitspan waiting on a lost rider. We have a rule that you don’t take a turn unless the rider behind you gives the thumbs up, it’s the only way to keep everyone together.
Fenderbender lost one man only to discover that he missed the bike parked outside Uitspan and was on his way somewhere else  ::)

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

We still had about 200km’s to go and we were running out of daylight.
The gravel roads past the Nuwekloofpass was beautifull and we gained some time, refueled in Uniondale and regrouped at Die Vlug at the bottom of Prince Albert Pass and within 45 min we were in Knysna and on our way to George where we all stayed in these Stone Cottages ( Little Eden) where our host Cavin Keyser had a feast waiting for us.
Thanks Cavin  :thumleft: and Andre for the recommendation.

IMG_9432.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

Next morning we departed on the last day via gravel to Herbertsdale and van Wyksdorp to Ronnie’s Sex shop.

DSC_0166.jpg

111_111.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

From there it was tar road and we decided to stop at the Karoo Saloon outside Barrydale for lunch.

DSC_0203.jpg

We all left and went our different directions - nearly 2000km’s later of which only 400km’s were tar.