Dakar Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zawillow

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
My Dakkie is giving me some hassles. The problem is intermittent. It starts by the rpm oscillating between about 1500 and 1800 rpm during idle, and then a short while later the bike doesn't idle at all and cuts out the whole time. I can still ride the bike, but must keep the revs up above 2000rpm. At first I though it might be some dirt in the fuel line or something along those lines, as it went away, but it's happened a few times now and I need to get it sorted - my coordination (braking front and back, clutch, throttle, gearing down, dodging cages etc. all at the same time) is probably not what it should be and being on fully functioning bike is dangerous enough.

I'm a noob to all this, so I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but I my bike also seems to be running quite hot - I can feel quite a bit of engine heat against my legs while riding and can't remember this when I first got the bike a couple of months ago (is this normal?). I've heard that the water pumps go on the Dakar's - so how do I check that the bike is not overheating and the water pump is fine. I can't imagine that my engine light and the water pump would both packup - but it could get expensive if it does happen and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Any suggestions before I'm forced to open my wallet with some professional help (the bike fixing kind)?