Day trip to the Waterberg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaalseun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
So, SWAMBO informed me she would sleep over at her sister’s on Friday night, which is code for "you may ride your bike". First plan was to ride to Mamparralanga, but after I heard the schools have closed, I realised half of Gauteng would have the same destination in mind. I then decided to ride to Thabazimbi, and from there around Marakele game reserve.

I hit the road at 04:45 from Alberton and planned to have breakfast at Gaan Bos near Northam, but they were still closed when I got there.

After a Wimpy brekkie in Thabazimbi (quickly greeted two guys on a GSA and KTM), I hit the first dirt on the other side of town.

The road almost goes straight into Bakkerspass.

Note the vulture above the cliffs

Rankins pass was not as impressive as I thought it would be but hey, what's to complain about. The sun was shining and the road was mine.

On the way to Vaalwater

All along the roads are game farms with an abundance of wildlife. They obviously had a lot of rain, as the veld is lush and green.

At Vaalwater one can not help to get the bushveld atmosphere. Three guys rocked up with an old Camry, none of the three were wearing shirts and each had a beer in the hand. As they got out the car, they tuned me: “&@%$ Boet, you must be dying in that jacket”.

From Vaalwater I took a short stretch of tar weswards, then turned off on dirt again. This is where it started getting interesting.

What started off as an innocent dirt road, soon turned out to be a service road for the local farmers. The road became smaller and more overgrown, and I was starting to get that dreaded feeling that I may just have to turn around somewhere. There were a lot of washouts, and it became worse after the “ROAD CLOSED” sign. At this little driffie I got stock with the pig digging in it’s rear and refusing to move any inch forward. It cost a lot of pursuation and falling around, but eventually we were through on on our way again.

Note to self: Do what oom Jan tought you and walk the water first
My boots were now soaked with water, but I was too tired to take them off.

After another short distance it became obvious why the road was closed. I was so far down this particular track, that it made no sense to turn around. However I also realised that if it became completely impassible further on, I would have to turn around in any event and also negotiate this ditch and the slippery driffie again. I decided to push on. It was now becoming seriously hot, and this obstacle consumed a large amount of my energy. I guess for a smaller bike (and a younger rider) this would be a walk in the park, but it took all my strength to keep 200kg+ upright over loose rocks and with no proper footing.

Note to self: You should not be riding these sort of roads by yourself

Then the sand! I thought I was not too bad with sand, and managed the earlier sandy sections with ease, leaning back and opening up. However this was something else. Although I managed to fall only once, it was never-ending and draining my energy fast. The temerature was also now 37 degrees. My 3 litre hydration pack was now empty, and I started to check the GPS to see how much further this punishment would last. 

After what seemed like an eternity, the road became firmer again, and it was back to normal riding and I could enjoy the scenery again.

I had a quick snack at Beestekraal.

Got home at around 6pm, 800.6km on the clock, dog tired and sweaty, but as happy as a pig.