Daytona 500: Please enlighten me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Not motorcycle related, but I'm sure to get some answers here:

I don't really watch motor racing, except for the Dakar and I will watch an F1 race, now and then. I've been aware of the US Nascar racing and especially the Daytona 500.

Watching TV on Sunday evening, I stumbled upon the Daytona 500 build-up and decided to watch it, to see what made this such a popular race in the US.
I found the build-up very interesting. The history of the race and how it came about was quite fascinating, as was all the interviews with past champs and the overall facts given by the commentators. I decided to watch the race...

After 50 laps, I was so bored, I couldn't stay awake anymore. I was rather disappointed, but was still convinced that somewhere in the race, something must be happening, so I decided to record the rest of the race to watch later and went to sleep.
Last night, I was quite excited to watch the rest of the race to find out what it was that gathered so much support.

Same old. Two rows of cars driving around the course at 200 mph. A driver can be second, and at the next moment be tenth. - held up by the guy in fort of him and as a result being passed by eight cars in the row alongside.
Drivers pushing the cars in front of them, the reason I still need to find. I can't see any use in nudging the car in front, except if you want to spin him to get him out of your way. Then there was a spin out, which took out a few other cars.
Safety car came out and the rest strolled around the track for a few rounds, before all was repeated. Another crash, spin out, another few cars taken out, safety car - same old.

Towards the end, things did become slightly more tense as drivers tried to get up front. Another crash, quite e few cars taken out, and then the race was over.
WFT? The guy that happened to be leading at a specific time, when a certain flag was raised? And that was it.
I can't remember if i ever wasted so much of my own time, ever. Or am I missing the whole point of the Daytona 500?

There is obviously a lot of driving skill and experience involved and it must take some to be driving in such close formation, for four hours, at 200 mph. But, my conclusion was that success is much, much more dependent on luck, than anything else.
I mean, you can sit in the midfield, watch your back and stay out of trouble. At some stage, there will be a crash or two, or three, up front and if you're lucky to get through unscathed, you'll be awarded by moving up quite a few places. Keep this up, keep on being lucky, and you might very well end up in the top ten.
Another crash, be lucky to get through, be at the right place at the right time and you might end the race in the top five or even win - all with pure luck.

If luck is not on the side of the most skilled and best driver on the day, he won't win?

Or am I so far removed from the reality and intricacies of this race?

Ek luister by die radio ...