Defrayed Bike: Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lime Tree

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Hi all, I have a question regarding an engine I've found for sale for a project that I'm thinking of doing.

The engine is from a bike involved in an accident that was sold 'to defray expenses'. The cost, if not cheap, is reasonable, especially since I need quite a few extras besides just the engine (wiring loom, ignition, etc). So I'm tempted. But my worry is that the sale might not have the blessing of the previous owner. I mean, imagine waking up in hospital to find that your bike has been sold. That would pee me off. I would probably go to the police and report it stolen. The current 'owner' says that it's all kosher and that he's a registered business and all I need is an invoice. The more I think about this, the dodgier it seems to me? On the other hand, I have bought an engine before that had been imported and all I did need to have it registered was an invoice, so that does ring true. I told him to have it scrapped first before I would take it. Is there a way to check the status of a vehicle? Anyone else faced a similar situation? Thanks :)