Dirt riding tips for noobies - from a nooby perspective

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainboy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Having done some some dirt riding with my new toy, I thought I would share some practical tips I picked up or was shown to me.Nothing new or mind blowing but some tips that I would have liked to have known before some of the trips I?ve done. Most of these are covered in the riding tips but some are either not there or maybe I simply missed them

1. Trust your bike
As Kamanya told me on my first ?technical? ride ? your bike is much more capable than you ?trust it?. So very true. Its such a mind thing ? that when in trouble, look up and open up. Sundays ride was a mind blower (pure fun for the experienced guys) and I was sure I was gonner a few times but managed to remember to open up. And hold and behold ? the bike did the work for me. Constantly had to tell myself to open up when I felt I was going down. Don?t over-do the trail and work too hard ? let the bike figure the best way out.Loosen that grip and trust (and know) that ur bike will come thru. Thanks guys!!

2.Water crossings
This has to be the biggest surprise to date.The force of the water when riding thru it is really powerfull. Was?nt even high speed.Water hits you smack on the shins and in my case,hits your foot off the foot pegs. Even my third water crossing for the day,thought I knew what to expect but still had both legs knock off with such force,its scary .Hung on for dear life to get thru.The gs 650 has those rubber pieces attached to the pegs . A tip given to me is too remove them and expose the serated edges ?like the aftermarket pegs and the grip will improve substantially,There?s a screw at the bottom of the rubber that needs to be removed. Sounds like a logical thing to do. Oh ?all those pics you see of bike going thru water and water splashing to the side. I learnt that gallons comes up straight to ur face too.Be prepared to hydrate

3. Braking
I quickly realised that when standing on inclines and declines,I cannot use my back brake simply because the brake pedal was to low down or my angle is all wrong (when standing on the level,I had no problems). This definitely contributed to my first (and hard) fall coming down a steep rocky decline.Using only my front brake,had my front wheel at an angle on loose rock, the bike came down fast.Front wheel simply washed out. So ensure your brake pedals? are properly adjusted to ur needs before doing any technical rides ? I was quickly shown where to adjust the brake pedal. Try it over and over in diff situations to get the best fit. I learnt the hard way

4.Bike fitnessI consider myself a fairly fit guy doing a range of activities,yet I still get tired when standing whole day. Near the end I simply wanted to close my eyes. Standing is something still fairly new to me and even tho it feels real good ?tires me after a while.So now I practice standing whenever I can ?even easy dirt. If you a BM rider like myself ?forget the stereotype lifestyle crap.Stand stand stand.Dont be ashamed to be a newbie ?we all still learning.Let uncle Joe stress about guys standing on easy dirt . Your body will thank you later when it really gets tough. My shoulders and back in particular get?s aching . Even go to gym to increase ur fitness but the general consensus is that riding is the best way to get bike fit.

5.Picking up the bikeI hurt my back on Sun picking up the bike,even with help. This surprised me as I have practiced picking up the bike a few times before.This involved gently putting the bike down on some soft level lawn and using proper proper technigue ?presto,she?s up. Very different in the field tho.Firstly,read the thread about getting the bike up when on an incline/decline.I felt lost looking at bike laying facing downhill ,knowning if I picked her up,I might be able to handle her at that angle.Luckily Adrian (Big red) was nearby to assist. Then,practice picking up the bike with some gear on.All my practice has been with a naked bike but that freaking tank bag kept being in my way when doing the real thing. Hate to think if my a panniers and other gear was with on a longer trip.Guess I?ll practice some more

6.Don?t panic
So easily said!! But really,I nearly washed out bad caused I panicked for that split second.You just don?t think rationally when you do. Came around this tight rocky U bend when my bike stalled very close to the edge of the trail.Big Red behind hoped I had the common sense to jump off the bike before it tumble down the slope. I just froze.For some reason I thought I could?nt steer or brake.It all just felt very unnatural. Luckily my guardian angel tapped me on the shoulder and asked ?why not just start her up again ?the button?s right there you mook!!? And I did,she fired up and managed not to bliksem down the slope. Very glad I came back to my senses. Now I constantly remind myself that the bike is very capable (more than me),to open up when in trouble and remain calm.I?m hoping all this will all become second nature

7.Switching off the ABS
If you have ABS ?practice switching it off time and time again. Even tho the ride leaders were patient in waiting for me, sometimes that damn ABS simply would switch off.Still have to perfect the art. In 2 moments of frustration, I simply rode with the ABS still activated. I?m told this is a BIG no-no on dirt. You apparently stop much easier without the ABS. And stopping when you want to does wonders for the confidence. I?m little more confident on dirt now,so I practice my braking on an easy stretch, just to see how the bike reacts when I lock wheels, turning and braking etc

And finally,the last thing I would like to share

8.Don?t always follow the line of the more experienced riders. :lol: :lol:
I mentioned to the guys that I would follow their line to pick up tips here and there (and noticed their expressions too :shock: ).It quickly became apparent that these boys WERE actually aiming for all the mud puddles and wet sections of the road ?they were simply having way too much fun throwing their bikes around. Too much for me, thanks . I was quickly told not to follow their line in this particular case so I opted for a much safer easier line. So make sure what line they are following before following them. Boys will be boys

So ja ? some practical tips I thought I would share with other noobies on the forum . Stuff I hoped I knew before some of these trips but hey ? it was great fun

If any other nooby (or anyone else for that matter) would like share ANY practical tips (like removing that rubber bit on the footpegs) with new guys like myself.pls do . You might save someone loads of heartache or cash 

Latest posts