Dogs do Dakar...nah....Maraisburg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggs

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
I guess the subject line got you all excited so I will try not to disappoint you by keeping it short with a few pics. Maybe the RR subject line should have read .... 'Tech day on the dumps of Maraisburg - How to chew fists full of dust and enjoy it'.  

I had been off riding since July after a couple of spills at DeWildt (K)crumpled my KTM, wrangled my wrist and angered my ankle, so it was time to venture out no matter what. Lightning1 had turned on his good buddy Jules and arraigned a shorter but more feisty jaunt up the slopes of Maraisburg against Jules' more mundane yet scenic canal route across the northern parts of Gauteng. The choice I had to make was to go balls to the wall or cruise?

Lightning hosted 6 riders in Twiggy on her slimy green Kawa 200, EatmyKTM, John (not a forum member yet) and Lightning1 on their 950 beasts, Alan Brodes on his almost run-in Suzzi 400, Ralph Sherman on a well turned out GS 1200, and me on my KTM 640. I got to tell you that it never ceases to amaze me the looks you get from the testosterone filled 'breekers' on small plastics when you saddle up the heavy machinery to take on 'their' turf.

The ride wasn't easy but to be fair, it was very well paced by our rabbit Lightning1. Lots of loose sand caused a few cracked lights, scraped elbows and dented egos. Some tight river crossings, hoops and rocky sections were the order of the day with a tough section ripping off the base plate of Ralph's GS.

The 'never say die' award for the day has to go to Twiggy as she was her usual self with a smile that can only inspire the ultra depressed on heavy doses of Prozac. At one point, we had 7 bikes all lined up staring at the smoky face of the dune. You couldn’t see 10 meters in front of you with the massive winds that whipped up the dust and the 'boys' were all eyeballing each other to see who would crack first and gun it to the top. One by one we turned with sunken shoulder pads and limp exhaust pipes between our legs - "too dangerous" said Lightning, "can’t see jack" said Eggs, "you got to be mad to attempt that" said EatmyKTM.

I guess it is pretty obvious what happened next. For those who know Twiggy, SHE, yes SHE was the only 'adventure rider' that ventured the dune. SHE IS MAD.

Unfortunately the cameraman took shelter in some bivouac and has never been seen since so the volume of snaps is pathetic to put it mildly.

Anyway, repect to Alfie and Cyril when eating this minuscule amount of dust was enough to cancel my next trip to Dakar.

Attachments

• Lightning1-1.jpg
    Lightning1-1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 2 Bikes eating dust-1.jpg
    2 Bikes eating dust-1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 226
  • Beer time 2-1.jpg
    Beer time 2-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Dakar-1.jpg
    Dakar-1.jpg