DRZ400 vs KLR650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eek07

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I arrived in Cape Town a couple of days ago for a ride I'm planning from there to Nairobi. After researching and looking at the market for bikes to buy for this trip I basically narrowed down my options to these two:

- a KLR650 with 230000 km on it. Decently serviced, crash bars in place and space for a top box. R30.000

- a DRZ400 with 10000 km on it. Very well serviced and crash bars in place. Still needs a rear rack for my luggage though and the owner advised me to also install a couple of fans for the water cooling. R25.000

I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but between these two which do you guys think is the better bike for this trip?

Additional info: I have 5 months to complete the trip. I'm in no particular hurry so don't necessarily need to cover big distances. Also I'm hoping to do a fair manner of off-roading along the way. But I'm not a very experienced off-road driver.

One thing in the back of my mind is that my girlfriend will be visiting for 10 days to explore drakensberg together. Although this is not the main consideration it would be nice if the bike would handle 2-up for those 10 days (if the gf has to be a tad uncomfy during those rides that's her problem, she's no whiner and I warned her for possible discomfort 😁).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk