Dual sport "training wheels" - advise please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Hero Xpulse
We are looking for a "training bike" to cut our teeth on learning the ropes of dual sport riding. My KLR is for sale as I do not want to "sacrifice" it in such a brutal manner.

I have venured onto dirt before a couple of times, and still am very inexperienced. The closest my wife ever came to dirt was parking her bike on the driveway 10 meters away from the lawn.

We would hate (and cannot afford) to drop the GS's learning. i have just bought a 800 GS and the wife has a new 650GS

I am therfor looking for a cheapy / banged out bike we can learn on, and if need be sell as parts, scarp metal after we are done with it (worst case scenario)

I have see a Kawasaki KDX 125, running condition, but in a bad cosmetic state for R10 000, not road legal or for R13 000 I can get a XT500 that is not on the road anymore so would need to get a trailer

On the other side of the scale a Lifan 200 virtually new (563 km's on the clock), fully road legal etc for R12 000.

Any advice and suggestions?