Eastern Cape / Rhodes this time of the year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I am planning a trip to the Eastern Cape and Rhodes next week Wednesday to Saturday (07 - 10 December).

The plan so far is to meet a friend in Clarens / Fouriesburg / Ficksburg (I am from Utrecht and he is coming through from Warrenton) where after I am thinking of going to Rhodes and then back via Natal (Maclear, Underberg etc.) or maybe doing a couple of loops in the Rhodes area and then head back to Clarens.

The route/places that I have ticked of so far on Tracks4Africa include;

Zastron
Quimera road to Lower Telle (or via St Michael's mission?)
Upper Tele
Lundean's Nek
Tiffendell Route to Rhodes (end of day one?)

Day 2:

Naude's Nek
Maclear via Elandshoogte (or "shortcut" via Mbizeni to Mt Fletcher and Southern Berg area)
Ugie and Bastervoetpad to Elliot
Stay over in Elliot or back to Rhodes via Otto du Plessis and Barkley East (we can also stay in Barkley if it gets late)

Day 3:

Back to Zastron in a round about way - may via Barkley (or from Barkley) to Dordrecht over Greylings Pass

Please let me know what other places we should consider and also what to expect in terms of the weather. The Accuweather site shows sunny and broken cloud conditions for Tuesday and Wednesday and it looks as if we can expect rain on Thursday. Do they normally have thunderstorms in the area at this time of the year or should we expect ongoing downpours?

If it rains too much we might veer of to the Karoo instead.

My friend is on a 800 GS and I am on a 990 Adv, it looks like we might have a 650 Dakar joining us as well.

EDIT:

We have changed our plans to meet in Clocolan and ride around Lesotho, taking it as it comes over 4 - 5 days.

The first stage is Clocolan to Zastron along the Caledon river and then on to Wartrial and Rhodes if time and weather permits. We will decide the next leg from there.

I have been following the Norwegian "YR" weather site. They report precipitation of 4 - 10mm over certain 6 hour periods. Does that mean 4 - 10mm per hour or over the 6h period. What effect does 4 - 10mm rain (per hour or per 6 hours) have on gravel roads, should I even worry about it?