Engine and maintenance advice needed!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwolf

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Ok, before I throw my hard earned money into my next bike.. :) I will appreciate some advice..

I am about to buy my first fully offroad bike and had spent a lot of time researching and testing the whole 4 stroke - 2 stroke dilemma. I tested a few bikes and like the Yz250, Ktm300 and the wr450..
Although most people agree that a 2 stroke is cheaper to maintain than a 4 stroke I still have some things worrying me. If a Ktm 300 and a wr450 is ridden the same and maintained the same and the wr will get 10000km on the engine before a top end rebuild, what kilometers will the ktm300's engine last before a top end rebuild is needed? Also if a top end rebuild was done on a 2stroke, can you say that if the bike was ridden and maintained the same as before rebuild you will get the same kilometers (hours) after the rebuild or do engine life decline over age??? Another question, for the average rider on a well maintained 2 stroke, how many hours can one do before a rebuild is needed (on average)?? 100 hours?? If someone can confirm that let's say it is 100 hours and you average 40km/h, then the engine lasted 4000km..

As you all can see I am still a bit confused because I know some guys get 20000km and more on their wr450 and if you can only get 4000km on a 2 stroke, you would have done 5 rebuilds before you do a rebuild on the 4 stroke..

I am also the kind of dog that will ride the 2 stroke hard, but will also maintain it really really good, meaninig drain oil after every 2-3 tanks etc... Is that even needed? I won't race but is the typical weekend warrior.

Please help me to clear the confusion..